Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Singing Munks -- a sequel — Parallax Forums

Singing Munks -- a sequel

rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
edited 2007-08-07 17:34 in Propeller 1
Guys...

I was furtively putting the sample circuit from OldBitCollector's cookbook together when Heather got hers working...

Then I looked at the circuit a little and couldn't figure out why the capacitors would be needed for plain audio out...

So I took them out... and it still works. I was left with just a 100 ohm resistor between my Prop pin and the inside terminal of the RCA connector ...I was afraid to take the resistor out... my fear of frying[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Is there a good reason to leave the resistor in there?

Rich

Comments

• rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-08-07 01:43
    oops... that should be

"Guys and Gals"

sorry
  • BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2007-08-07 02:04
    We have gals?
    edited 2007-08-07 02:21
    Came as a shock to me too!... unless Heather is really Heath. I would expect that in this crowd[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-08-07 02:23
    Heather is probably too young for me... but if there are any 40+ female engineering types out there............
    edited 2007-08-07 02:23
    But really... back to resistors. Do I need it... if so, why. No BS allowed.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-08-07 02:33
    (Preface: NOT from an ee)

I suspect the caps are using to boast the strength a bit, so I'm not surprised that works.
    (Should have tried that myself.) <EE's please speak up>

But as for the resistor, I don't think I'd remove that. Even lightweight headphones can
    act as a microphone, perhaps sending a little power in the wrong direction.

I'll do some testing on my end too and update the PropellerCookbook to include this
    little piece of information as YMMV.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
    edited 2007-08-07 02:35
    Thanks bunches.

Rich
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-08-07 08:40
    The capacitor and resistor form a filter converting the rapid pulse train coming out of the propeller into an audio signal. The two components create a potential divider that is frequency dependent, tending to short higher frequencies and pass lower ones.

The fact it still works is probably because of the low bandwidth both electrical and mechanical of the speaker system (and your ears) so that in effect you are still doing the filtering, that or parasitic capacitance is enough. Put the same signal into a scope and you will see lots of pulses.

Resistor is probably worth it just to be on the safe side, it would depend to what you were connecting it to specifically and how that was designed.

Graham
  • OwenSOwenS Posts: 173
    edited 2007-08-07 11:15
    Remember that most amplifiers capacitively couple the input into their amplifying device, be it a OpAmp, discrete Transistor circuit or Vaccuum Tube.

So the HPF is now likely between the resistor and the Hi-Fi's capacitor
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-08-07 11:20
    Its a LPF that you want and that would not create one, all it does is cut out the DC.

Graham
    edited 2007-08-07 16:06
    I'm trying to hack together a geomagnetic NMR application(around 1.3 khz) so it's clearly in the audio range[noparse]:)[/noparse] ... I do have the signal going into an Amplifier... haven't measured anything yet. Just worried about the health of my Prop... I'll leave the resistor in[noparse]:)[/noparse]

I'm going to have a lot of "dufus" level questions.

Thanks guys.

Rich
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-07 16:47
    Rich,

Googling, find that research is being done around a much higher level than what the Prop can provide. On design generates a high magnetic field (800 MHz, 18.8 T) for a NMR spectrometer.

I'm wondering what super sensitive gizmo you'll be using to sense anything. Not putting down your project. Just highly curious what can be observed at so low a freq. Thanks for any details. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    edited 2007-08-07 17:15
    Harley,

Love your posts, this one in particular... AND I am accepting suggestions.

http://www.enc-conference.org/longabs/E070287.3500VER.1.pdf

This reports full imaging at 46 microTesla (.46 gauss)... the "trick" is a pre-polarization pulse of 1 gauss and an effective voxel of 27 cubic millimeters, the sensor is a SQUID magnetometer...

I'm just trying to get a single FID out of this thing... so I can conveniently use less sensitivity by increasing the effective volume. There are all kinds of things that I don't understand... and one thing that I do: NMR theory is intellectually bankrupt... I got that from the authors. So what is possible... and what is predicted are "radically" different species.

By the way... did you ever wonder why EEG's use a cut-off filter? There is a lot going on around 1MHz... and no instruments to watch it!!!

Rich
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-07 17:28
    Thanks Rich for the info 'overload'.

(An old friend once wrote me the info I sent him was 'more than I ever wanted to know about that subject'.)

I looked up the URL referenced. Way out of my field, for sure. But sure would like to get images 'at home' like shown. Sure would like to have such imaging capabilities.

What sort of sensor do you have/plan to design/buy? I have no idea what a SQUID is or where to obtain one.

Keep us informed of this project. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    edited 2007-08-07 17:34
    Actually... I was hoping for help from the radio guys... A squid is basically a point sensor... the field being generated occupies the entire near space... ... and it is a field not a photon (trying to put proper limits on field/photon theory ... while I'm at it[noparse]:)[/noparse]