Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
74HC595 problem — Parallax Forums

74HC595 problem

PetoPeto Posts: 11
edited 2007-08-08 18:46 in Propeller 1
Hi all,
i got problem with my serial to parallel shift register 595,
while i've been testing it with separated LEDs (not 7segmentLED) on proto board everything was
working, but when i moved and soldered it, there started be a problem.

circuit is just driver for 7segment display and it can be
extended ... i did it for 3 segments

the problem is 595 works and sometimes not,
when not i have to touch 595 case with finger sometimes to get an output
for LCD segments, and sometimes it works itself ... i'm not satisfied
with this performance , if someone could have any idea how to fix it
please let me know...

A.
BTW does this engine support edit or delete POST ? i can't find it here, if yes please let me know
479 x 365 - 8K

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-08-06 19:04
    Sounds like a bad connection around the '595. Carefully check all connections, resolder them if possible. If it worked before, it should work again when soldered.
  • PetoPeto Posts: 11
    edited 2007-08-06 19:50
    I did it twice (on two different boards), the same result ... sometimes it needs just approach my finger (i do not need to touch it) and it works for a while...
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-06 22:20
    Peto,

Sounds like maybe an input is floating, that is not connected, or not well connected. Bringing a something conducting, even a finger, can sometimes capacitatively move it into an enabled condition on a input pin.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • SkogsgurraSkogsgurra Posts: 231
    edited 2007-08-06 22:24
    Where is the·STCP connected?

Read wrong pin number.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Skogsgurra) : 8/6/2007 10:31:45 PM GMT
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-06 22:34
    Peto said...

A.
    BTW does this engine support edit or delete POST ? i can't find it here, if yes please let me know
    yes to both. A post that you wrote has changed icons in the upper right corner. Pick the right one.
    edited 2007-08-07 05:42
    Skogsgurra,
    ST_CP is not connected anywhere, does it have to be ? before i used to test it on proto board it has been working without ST_CP ... ? is that important for my problem to connect it ? from the timing diagram i can understand ST_CP should have reverse signal to SH_CP ...
    edited 2007-08-07 05:56
    Harley what do you mean "floating " ... Q7" out or "OE"
    it works this way, there are 3X 595, and 3 Segments, i have no problem to show correct number, i can see then bits fit, and every one of 595 provides correct outputs but to get it out io have to approach my finger, actually sometimes i don't need to touch it ...
    in real, sometimes first 595 in a row of 3 show outputs signal and nex2 are disabled or, all of them provides signal... or first one no and 2 yes and last not... many combinations
    edited 2007-08-07 06:06
    The ST_CP is the "Storage Clock Pulse". It transfers the contents of the shift register to the output latches. If left open, the transfer to the output latches (and the output pins) will not happen - at least not in a controlled manner. You have to read the function table in the data sheet to get all the details. Leaving ST_CP open results in spurious "works/works not".

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-08-07 15:19
    Peto said...
    Harley what do you mean "floating " ... Q7" out or "OE"
    it works this way, there are 3X 595, and 3 Segments, i have no problem to show correct number, i can see then bits fit, and every one of 595 provides correct outputs but to get it out io have to approach my finger, actually sometimes i don't need to touch it ...
    in real, sometimes first 595 in a row of 3 show outputs signal and nex2 are disabled or, all of them provides signal... or first one no and 2 yes and last not... many combinations

The word 'floating' in electronics can mean that an input is not electrically connected to a high or low state. Either tri-state or UNCONNECTED. But sometimes, say if a wire wrap wire were broken inside the insulation, there would be a capacitative effect for transitions, but wouldn't be biased to either ground or a high state.

The fact that your finger can start it working implies a very high impedance connection. Maybe a connection is off by one pin. Body capacitance can affect operations if a pin is 'floating' (not connected). Maybe time to use a ohmmeter/mulitmeter to check out your wiring.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    edited 2007-08-07 16:44
    Do people not read posts?

My tip was not a "tip" - it is a fact and is what has to be done to get that 595 going.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-08-07 16:51
    Peto,

Please let us know what the problem is when you get your project running properly.

Inquiring minds want to know. (Even if one find it some 'stupid' misteak, as we all make from time to time; many times oftener!!)

Thanks.

ps - 'misteak' was intentional humor.... yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    edited 2007-08-07 19:07
    Question: why bother with the ULN2003a to drive an led? Can't the 74hc595 handle that on its own?
    edited 2007-08-07 20:36
    Fred,
    Answer : yes it can but i'm looking ahead and for my next step i'm going to need it, but it's another topic, i haven't solved that previous one... do you have any solution for my prob. ?
    edited 2007-08-07 21:26
    Hello! Shouting now.

You have to clock the st_cp to get the information to the output. Did you?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-08-07 23:09
    Peto said...
    Fred,
    Answer : yes it can but i'm looking ahead and for my next step i'm going to need it, but it's another topic, i haven't solved that previous one... do you have any solution for my prob. ?
    I think you will need to connect pin 12 of the '595 to the prop. Then toggle it in reverse of the prop's pin 1 (connected to SH_CP if I read your schematic correctly) after you send a pulse down to DS.

Not toggling pin 12 seems to put the output of the '595 into an high impedience state.

At least that's what I think this timing chart says. (Skogs, did I get that right? [noparse];)[/noparse]
    640 x 576 - 8K
    edited 2007-08-08 02:27
    Yes!

Thanks God. Someone reads answers!

The transfer from shift register to output latches is done with the ST_CP (Storage Clock Pulse). The shifting as such is done with the SH_CP.

The timing diagram shows how data are transferred after each shift and that is sometimes meaningful. But in this case, I think that it is much better to do the complete shift first and then transfer so that the outputs stay calm during the shift (that's why you have the buffers in the first place).

There is probably another timing diagram somewhere showing this option.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-08-08 06:41
    Guys, Fred & Skogsgurra, ok, i'm gonna try what you recommend , that's not a problem to connect ST_CP, but please could you downloald from the Parallax Web section STAMP WORKS Web-SW-v2.1.pdf then scroll to the page 140 and have a look at a diagram and also code, there is used the same 595 without ST_CP and MR, all i want to do ... is to make it works the same easy way as it's shown over there .... & all i do just follow the manual ... as you can see there not also connected MR so i do not know how they can release data from the 595 registers... my code communicates with MR, because without it doesn't work
  • OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2007-08-08 07:16
    Hi

Your missing something Peto.
    PIN 10 is MR(master reset) needs to be connected to VDD ( +) togeter with 16 (main + to the chip)
    Also pin 13 OE ( Output enable needs to be connected to VSS (0V) together with pin 8 (main VSS of chip)

The Propeller signals to pin 11 (SH CP) and pin 12 (move Store CP) and pin 14 ( serial data)
    PIN 12 to be pulled low with 10K

Your right in saying MR is not connected to the Prop but it needs to be tied to + volts otherwise it floats
    same with pin 13 (OE tie it to 0V) ..floating pins means trouble...

Ronald Nollet Australia
    edited 2007-08-08 07:58
    OzStamp, that's a new point of view, i'll try to reconnect it, then inform you, thanks
    edited 2007-08-08 18:46
    OzStamp, i did it as you said on proto board, it's good to use 2 pins only instead 5, there is new problem arised, but for this application it's not important at the moment i think it's matter of the code, that's easier to fix...

Skogsgurra i do read all answers also yours, and i appreciate IT VERY MUCH (THANKS ALL of You FOR EVEN LITTLE IDEA) because now it may help to fix a new problem i've mentioned above