Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Protoboard question — Parallax Forums

Protoboard question

W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
edited 2007-08-07 06:18 in Propeller 1
Is it necessary to use resistors between the I/O and the servo signal line? I will be using Vin to power the servos.

Comments

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-06 04:12
    W9GFO,

If you haven't read this (in the blue section of this forum, at top)

HOW TO SAFELY INTERFACE A 5V SIGNAL TO THE PROPELLER?,

it should explain much.

Basic rule is if over 3.3v, yes, to limit current use series resistor between Prop input and what it is receiving from

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-08-06 08:00
    NO, you do not need to include the inline resistor, it works better without it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2007-08-06 17:48
    Thanks, I didn't think that a resistor was needed since it was on an output, but I am unable to make a very simple program run correctly so I became concerned that the lack of resistors had fried something.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-08-06 18:52
    Nevertheless you should ALSO read the link Harley pointed to smile.gif

To my memory Parallax claims their Propeller outputs to be (nearly) shortcut safe, restricting the current to 30 - 40 mA. So it should be difficult to harm them. Another matter however is high current (> 1mA) input....
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-08-06 18:57
    I managed to fry my demo board... by not using a resistor, but I was using external batteries.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-08-06 19:39
    @rjo: You most likely connected +6 V from the batteries to an input pin. This is an absolute safe methode to kill it smile.gif Note that modern accumulators deliver upto 5 A or even more
  • MightorMightor Posts: 338
    edited 2007-08-06 20:19
    We get two conflicting answers here wrt to connection of a servo signal line to a prop output. Can we get some consensus on this?

Do you need a resistor between a prop output pin and a servo signal line? If so, what value? Will a resistor in series not cause the 3.3V to be too low for the servo to "react" to a pulse if the prop fires it?

I read the HOWTO... thread but there is a serious amount of over-info in there that isn't really readable for people without a degree in electronic engineering such as myself.

A smaller HOWTO without a zillion posts in it would be a very welcome gift for those with merely an interest to tinker a little with the propeller without getting into the electronics side as deeply as some of you more professional lot [noparse]:)[/noparse] A couple of example circuits of how to hook up a few devices with different functions, such a servo, a ping sensor, that kind of thing. I know the prop is for more advanced users and I have no problems Reading The Fine Materials or searching the web but in the end I can only understand things if they're explained in a language I can read [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Gr,
    Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
    | "Wait...if that was a compliment, why is my fist of death tingling?"
    | - Alice from Dilbert
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-08-06 21:57
    In the case of the servo signal line, a resistor is not needed. It is an output from the Propeller and input to the servo so there isn't a need for current limiting resistors. Beau likes to use a small value (100Ω or so) to limit crosstalk noise from the supply lines, but this is more for good measure rather than a necessity. For inputing 5V or bi-directional with a 5V signal, a resistor should always be used.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • MightorMightor Posts: 338
    edited 2007-08-07 06:18
    Paul,

Thanks for that [noparse]:)[/noparse] At least now I don't have to resolder my proto board!

Gr,
    Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
    | "Wait...if that was a compliment, why is my fist of death tingling?"
    | - Alice from Dilbert