Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NTSC capture device. — Parallax Forums

NTSC capture device.

potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
edited 2007-08-05 16:42 in Propeller 1
I looked for the older thread, but didn't have much luck. Move or delete this one, if that makes sense. Just trying to follow up on a conversation had earlier here.

A few of us were discussing video capture options, the topic of latency came up, among other things like PAL, etc...

Thought I would post a quick note on the capture device I finally settled on. It's one of these USB HDTV capture units. It does all the various standards, plus radio, digital TV, etc...

The one I picked up was an ADS product. 'MiniHDTVusb'

The included software has a second or two of latency. Not good for interacting with HYDRA code. However, the device itself is quite happy to push the video in more or less real time. It's all about the application software one uses, not so much the USB device, it seems. There was a lot of conflicting information, so I just bought one. I think the source of confusion is likely to be the application software.

My particular laptop machine has some shovel ware called "Intervideo WINDVD Creator". It has a preview window, for video capture tasks that exhibits no latency --well under 200ms of it anyway, and exposes the basic video controls, standard selection, and other minor bits. This was enough to see the USB cap device will perform just fine. Video quality is nowhere near the pro quality capture on the SGI I'm used to, but it's far more tolerant and that's a great trade off. I've not been able to capture anything that's not a full on standards compliant NTSC frame, on that thing.

I'm gonna go off and explore some freeware / OSS video capture / edit programs to see if there is not a more general case solution, but thought I would post what I found here for those considering or looking for a capture solution. If anyone knows of anything that makes sense, post it here please.

I ran some tests and this device will display many improper NTSC frames, interlaced, non interlaced both for color and vertical scan lines. It will display the hi-color demo correctly, and does permit one to turn off the de-interlace. It also displays a full NTSC frame, allowing one to see porches, etc... On a laptop display, the color interlace can be seen fairly well. I'll bet a 60Hz crt would display it perfectly. IMHO, this device will display anything any of us has written for the HYDRA, with some tolerance for when things get close.

Prior to getting this device, I went ahead and picked up a guinea pig thrifty display. It's expendable, but bulky. It does not travel and full resolution LCD's didn't make any sense as I carry a perfectly good LCD around in the laptiop. I personally travel and have been limited in my ability to work with the prop. RF mods are bulky and somewhat unfriendly, broadcast mode is testy on the HYDRA, and not all hotel TV's are tinkerer friendly. This thing, your prop, power and the little cables in a laptop bag looks to be a great setup, FYI.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Post Edited (potatohead) : 8/5/2007 6:42:21 AM GMT

Comments

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-08-05 12:52
    I think many small and smallest USB-based , PC-cards, or even notebook integrated DVB-T receivers which came up during the last year are able to do what you described... (or at least just displaying a Propeller NTSC/PAL output)

I just found out I can even do that with an DVB device bought more than a year ago...

Post Edited (deSilva) : 8/5/2007 1:49:29 PM GMT
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-08-05 14:58
    I guess that was the point. Asking around about these things gets one a lot of conflicting info. Just thought I would share a little and mix in the question of "what video display app do you prefer?"

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-08-05 16:42
    I have an Adaptec Gamebridge 1410/1510 usb capture device that adds almost zero latency. It is designed for playing console games on PCs by connecting the console video out to the usb adapter. It costs $9.95 at fry's and even includes a tv tuner and remote. The only complaint I have is that the driver is poorly written (will cause a blue screen of death when you bring the computer out of standby if the device is attached).

I think the product may be discontinued, but it's worth a try if you want a realtime usb capture device. The local Fry's only had 2 left so I guess I was lucky that I got it before it went out of stock.

Harrison