Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Proto Board Questions — Parallax Forums

Propeller Proto Board Questions

MightorMightor Posts: 338
edited 2007-08-04 20:34 in Propeller 1
Hey there,

I was wondering if someone could tell me if the servo connections in the top right corner of the Proto Board PCB are connected to any particular pins of the microcontroller. If not, that's fine, I'll pick my own pins, but I'd rather know before I start fiddling with it.

Seeing as this is my first prototyping board (other than the regular copper track ones you get from your local electronics store), what is the usual method of connecting the components that you place in the holes. I noticed that only some of the holes are connected together, the rest are all sort of solo.

If I wanted to add a bigger reset button, I need to connect pin4 (connected to the reset pin on the controller) of the usb2ser to ground. However, when I look at the board, there is no numbering of pins on the PCB near the usb2ser port. Which way should I start counting. From top to bottom or vice versa?

+--------+
|        |     <---- power socket
+--------+

0 ---+ 0   <-- is this connector 4 of the usb2ser?
0 ---+ 0
0 ---+ 0
0 ---+ 0

This is a really terrible ascii art impression of what the propclip, propplug and usb2ser connectors and power socket section of the board look like. I hope it is clear enough.

From what I gather about the mechanism of resetting the controller, I would momentarily short pin 4 to pin 1 of the usb2ser connector. Am I correct?

Gr,
Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
| What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
| "Wait...if that was a compliment, why is my fist of death tingling?"
| - Alice from Dilbert

Comments

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-08-04 07:44
    The conector is lay-outed to connect to the Prop-Stick and Prop-Plug; this should give you some orientation:

www.parallax.com/images/prod_jpg/32201.jpg

Edit: Being not so experienced with the kind of soldering required on those boards, I should recommmend you solder male or female (according to your preferences) multi-point connectors to the proto board and piggy-back the boards you are accustomed to. This has a lot of advantages, especially the ease to recycle the proto board...

Post Edited (deSilva) : 8/4/2007 8:01:28 AM GMT
  • MightorMightor Posts: 338
    edited 2007-08-04 08:34
    deSilva said...

Edit: Being not so experienced with the kind of soldering required on those boards, I should recommend you solder male or female (according to your preferences) multi-point connectors to the proto board and piggy-back the boards you are accustomed to. This has a lot of advantages, especially the ease to recycle the proto board...
    Oh for sure. I've been soldering the female ones onto most of the Vdd, Vss and other holes. This afternoon I'll solder on the rest of the female connectors around the processor so I can hook up anything I want to those pins. I have a small breadboard that I intend to use for non-permanent circuits, ie when I am learning to use the Prop [noparse]:)[/noparse] The females have the advantage of being able to take either a small wire or a component, much like the Boe-Board.

Gr,
    Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
    | - Alice from Dilbert
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-08-04 08:43
    Mightor said...
    Hey there,

I was wondering if someone could tell me if the servo connections in the top right corner of the Proto Board PCB are connected to any particular pins of the microcontroller.

answer: the signal lines on the servo headers are not connected to any pins.

and according to my prop-plug the followin diagram is true:

+--------+
    +--------+

0 ---+ 0  TX (from prop to PC) 
    0 ---+ 0  RX (from prop to PC)
    0 ---+ 0 RESn (reset pin of propeller - active low)
    0 ---+ 0 VSS (GND)

Hope this clears things up a bit.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.
    edited 2007-08-04 11:22
    Rinks,

The usb2ser pinout is slightly different from the prop plug but I've figured it out now. Thanks though [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I'll be making a small addon board for the prototype board to allow for a larger reset button. I've tried in vain to train some ants to press the on-board one for me, however once they started forming their own union, I could no longer afford to keep them.

Gr,
    Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | - Alice from Dilbert
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-04 13:14
    RinksCustoms said...
    +--------+
    +--------+

0 ---+ 0 VSS (GND)

Is this right? The tx/rx pair look backwards to me.
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2007-08-04 13:32
    Mightor, if you solder a small pushbutton - N/O - across holes 1 and 4 of the USBSER connection, this will parallel the regular reset.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift.

That is why they call it the present.

Don't have VGA?
    Newzed@aol.com
    ·
    edited 2007-08-04 13:37
    Newzed said...
    Mightor, if you solder a small pushbutton - N/O - across holes 1 and 4 of the USBSER connection, this will parallel the regular reset.

Sid
    That's exactly what I have done, well, kind of. I put on a 90 deg male connector on the board facing the opposite direction of the prop plug connector and with some leg bending and twisting soldered a push button onto a female connector. I haven't tested it yet but it looks a lot better than the std button on the board. This way I can remove the button if I want (or if it's broken for some reason).

Gr,
    Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | - Alice from Dilbert
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-08-04 17:49
    Fred Hawkins said...
    RinksCustoms said...
    +--------+
    +--------+

0 ---+ 0 VSS (GND)

Is this right? The tx/rx pair look backwards to me.
    Fred, at the fear of entering the fourth dimention of quoting, please read the text carefully, it is correctly written because if you look at the arrows on the Prop plug you'll note they are laid out for the USB device and not the protoboard.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.
    edited 2007-08-04 20:34
    Rinks,

One more level of quoting would've ripped a hole in the time-space continuum, please make sure to never exceed four levels, mankind's survival depends on it.

Gr,
    Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | - Alice from Dilbert