Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Plug - connection different — Parallax Forums

Propeller Plug - connection different

kenmackenmac Posts: 96
edited 2007-08-07 10:15 in Propeller 1
I have made my own protoboard and wired the connector for the Prop. Plug as per the drawings/pics in the documentation.
However, I have just received my Plug, and find that the connections are in a different order, which means that I will need to redo my board in that area.
That's OK, but obviously this particular Plug won't be compatible with the demo board if used.
Has anyone else noticed this?

kenmac

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Perth, Western Australia
Time Zone = GMT + 8

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-08-04 03:11
    The Demo Board has a built-in USB adapter and doesn't use the PropPlug. The Parallax Protoboard has provisions for 3 different USB adapters, the PropPlug and the PropClip which are essentially the same, and the USB2SER adapter which has a different pin arrangement. It depends on which set of holes you use.
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2007-08-04 03:35
    Green,

Can I connect the Propeller directly to a PC comm port with current limit resistors?
    Propeller TX to PC Rx ( Pin 2 on 9pin D Connector )
    Propeller RX to PC TX ( Pin 3 )
    Propeller Res to DTR ( Pin 4 )
    Gnd to Gnd ( Pin 5 )

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.fd.com.my
    www.mercedes.com.my
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-08-04 03:42
    No. The signal levels going back to the PC are not adequate for most comm. ports. You need some kind of 3.3V to RS232 converter. This can also be done with some transistors and resistors as shown on the Propeller webpage, datasheet, and manual.
  • kenmackenmac Posts: 96
    edited 2007-08-04 04:01
    I have checked with the supplier - it seems that I ordered the wrong item (#28024).
    It should have been #32201, which is the one shown in the documents/pics.
    I wasn't aware that there was more than one version of the Plug - my mistake.

kenmac

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Perth, Western Australia
    Time Zone = GMT + 8
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-08-04 08:13
    Mike Green said...
    No. The signal levels going back to the PC are not adequate for most comm. ports. You need some kind of 3.3V to RS232 converter. This can also be done with some transistors and resistors as shown on the Propeller webpage, datasheet, and manual.

Even more important is the fact that RCV and XMT have to be inverted, as this is assumed by the Propeller IDE and by the bootstrap loader. When later using program controlled serial I/O this can be cared for by software of course.

Second, the reset-logic is a little bit tricky smile.gif

Parallax has published at least 2 different versions of transistor based circuits; I found a third useful one in the current robotics issue of the ELEKTOR journal.
  • OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2007-08-04 09:50
    Hi KenMac ·and for others on the forum..

Ken the unit you have will work.

The Protoboard from Parallax #32212 will take all three suitable programmers being

#28024 USB ser dev tool
    #32201 Prop Plug
    #32200 Prop Clip

cheers·· Ronald Nollet·· Parallax Australia disty

• epinehepineh Posts: 14
    edited 2007-08-07 10:15
    I did the same thing as you KenMac, but instead of changing the board I made a little lead to plug in between to fix things... lol

I will fix the pinout on design # 2 hehe

Russell.