Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My latest Prop Vid — Parallax Forums

My latest Prop Vid

BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
edited 2007-08-07 16:37 in Propeller 1
Hi All,

Here's my latest Vid, of what the prop can do, when not using waitvid for pixel generation.

http://www.jimbagley.co.uk/propavi.avi

It's just using 1 prop ( V1 lol not·V2 Bob·cool.gif ) it's also only using 5 cogs, ( 1 for TV driver, 2 to feed the driver, 1 for SD, and 1 for the spin demo controlling it all. ) so I could therefore also add sound quite easily, since I have memory left (802 longs.) and spare pins roll.gif

Not quite as impressive as BTX's BIG curtain, but equally as impressive as it's only using one prop. Kudos to you BTX, as your curtain looks great, mine only outputs to tv.

I've also fattened up the pixels to pad the screen out a bit, as the lack of RAM only permits a small display [noparse]:)[/noparse]

propavi.jpg

·

Comments

• BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2007-08-03 12:55
    Daaaaaamn, boy.

What's the final resolution/color depth?
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-08-03 12:56
    You like? [noparse]:)[/noparse]

edit: The Colour Depth is 15Bit·5R 5G 5B·to give usual 4 pins for programming·+ 4 for SD + 8 for comms, for when I connect it to the hybrid, ( it'll be an add on for the Hybrid ) [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edit: oh and res is 120x90 RAM limitations scaled up to 240x180. although when I do a tilemap + sprites version, it'll be higher obviously.

Post Edited (Baggers) : 8/3/2007 1:17:26 PM GMT
  • epmoyerepmoyer Posts: 314
    edited 2007-08-03 14:39
    Super job Baggers!
    edited 2007-08-03 14:58
    Thanks epmoyer [noparse]:)[/noparse]

NEXT UBER vid, ( sorry it's a 3gp from my phone cam, but the batteries went flat during taking the next vid, lol, will re-charge em and do new vid, but for now, here's a 3gp version. )

I have the original on dvd, and was wanting to see how it would convert, so I got this intro vid off the net, to convert that, with it being smaller, and well, the results show how impressive it really is.

http://www.jimbagley.co.uk/dlair.3gp

edit:
    I've now re-charged my batteries roll.gif· Images below [noparse]:)[/noparse] and new vid link

http://www.jimbagley.co.uk/dlair.avi

dlair1.jpg

dlair2.jpg

Post Edited (Baggers) : 8/3/2007 4:14:43 PM GMT
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-08-03 18:50
    Jim, Thats just fantastic! Any chance of getting some schematics or code? huh huh? <GRIN>
    I'd love to duplicate this..

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
    edited 2007-08-03 21:22
    Oldbitcollector [noparse]:)[/noparse] are you UK based? as it's using a scart connector for the moment.
    Although I'll convert it to use an AD723/4/5 for US side, as it's gonna be an add on board for the hybrid. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
    edited 2007-08-03 23:36
    Hi Baggers,

Are you playing back avi files through the prop?
    If so, it is quite impressive.

Doug
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-08-04 00:08
    Very impressive
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-08-04 01:01
    Very depressing. I'm 56, but I feel like the girl in the video[noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-08-04 03:37
    No, I'm US... <bah!> I'll be looking forward to your converted design. Are you going to release specs for use DIYers?

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-08-04 06:16
    Baggers that's the most incredible thing I've ever seen.

How much different is SCART from VGA?
    edited 2007-08-04 07:48
    Hinv: It's originally an AVI, but I've converted it to be speed and prop and SD friendly.

Forest: Thanks [noparse]:)[/noparse]

rjo_: rofl

Oldbitcollector: yeah, I'll prolly release specs once hybrid and the addon is out.

Dennis Ferron: Thanks matey [noparse]:)[/noparse] SCART is TV timing, ( 64us PAL 62.5us NTSC ( or whatever NTSC is, not really done much NTSC ) and VGA is a lot faster.
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-08-04 08:28
    AMAZING!! Even Desilva would be speechless! lol

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.
    edited 2007-08-04 09:57
    Muwhahahahahaaaaaa Cheers Rinks
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2007-08-05 02:48
    Haha..... Indredible Baggers !! (Sorry..... I didn't see this thread before)
    It so impressive as my curtain, or more, mine uses about 5200 IC's to do all, you get it with only one prop and a eeprom !!. [noparse]:)[/noparse])
    Great !!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
    edited 2007-08-05 03:09
    Hi Jim,

What format did you convert them to?

I played with high resolution playback on a 3840x1024 screen 8 years ago. I had 8 195MHz Mips R10000 64bit processors, 1GB Memory and 8 hard drives to play with.
    Yours, though quit a bit smaller is quite impressive as your resources are way less. I guess that is the power of getting right down to the hardware level.

Kudos,

Doug
    edited 2007-08-05 08:09
    BTX: Thx [noparse]:)[/noparse] no worries about not seeing it, this forum changes like the wind. [noparse]:)[/noparse] and lol yeah, and I use a slightly smaller chip count than you rofl. PS, if you need a hand with the asm for your sampler, let me know.

hinv: Hi Doug, I converted them down to a simple form, knowing that I only have a small amount of ram, I have to limit resolution to what fits, also, knowing that it HAD to be double buffered to avoid tearing, because I can only read about 6K per 50hz frame, and each image is 12K. Which works perfect since it takes two 25hz to read a frame [noparse]:)[/noparse]. It's converted into a 256colour per frame not constant colours though, they change each image. it was then a case of exporting each frame to a BMP, then resizing the BMP's to 120x90x8bit keeping the 4:3 aspect ratio, then merging them all into one 12MB file, stripping bmp headers etc. I originally thought about using compression on it, but then I thought, NO, I want lossless, because of the low resolution. And the finished result, looks really good [noparse]:)[/noparse] I'm well pleased with it.

Cheers,
    Baggers.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-08-05 08:17
    Baggers said...
    I use a slightly smaller chip count than you rofl.
    You are forgetting the resistors smile.gif
    edited 2007-08-05 08:47
    rofl, ok, if you count the resistors, then I have about mid 40's lol with SD + RGB [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • edited 2007-08-06 01:00
    Baggers, do you suppose you might use an SRAM for higher resolution? Or, is this the most possible of the propellor chip without a second prop using pins for the sound and sram/sram'z?

Still, this is very very well done!! [noparse]:o[/noparse]

P.S Is there some way you can use more than one pin out of one pin? like a Y-wire to allow connection to 8 pin devices with your limit of 4 pins due to the others being used?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Realize that I am really a mad scientist··· and

Don't forget it!

http://raydillon.com/Images/Illustration/GameArt/WildIsle/WildIsle-Ink-ScientistClose.jpg

·
    edited 2007-08-06 01:57
    Hi Baggers,

I would suggest lossles Run length encoding. This should work real well with cartoons like dlair. You could theoretically use 2 of the cogs to do the rle decoding on the fly. This would lower your bandwidth requirements on the input, and therefor may be able to buy you more resolution on the output and still do the same frame rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_length_encoding in case you aren't formilliar with it.
    edited 2007-08-06 07:46
    Bob the Builder on a C64: using SRAM for a higher resolution isn't really feasible, as it'd have to be an external device, to handle getting the data out fast enough for the display, then there's the problem of filling it too, during inactive display time, which is the problem with the X512K card for the hydra, this will be less of an issue when the prop2 comes along, especially with the extra 32 pins.
    as for more than one pin out of one pin, you mean like the joypads only using 4021's? yes you can do that. ps, I have 8 pins spare.

hinv: I thought of RLE, but the images for DLair isn't really flat enough, and has lots of colours, and especially with the already lowered resolution antialiasing the image, it wouldn't really have made that much of a saving. but if you recall my other vid, the oxygene demo, which had a resolution of 240x160 which would have needed a screen buffer of 38400 bytes, was also double buffered, which would have needed 76800 bytes, which is far above the prop's ram size, that one was RLE, and the video driver uncompressed it on the fly, it only took one cog to handle the display and decoding. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • edited 2007-08-06 13:50
    Well, baggers, it seems the prop one is amazing, but·when the prop 2 comes·out seems to be·when were going to actually see high resolution video and·3D games/full 32 bit sprite engines. It's amazing how you got those videos to play on the propellor! [noparse]:o[/noparse] do you suppose you might release the source code, and perhaps maybe make a program to translate and scale AVI's so the prop can load them?

P.S funny, the prop would do quite well as a cellphone video displaying unit. lol but maybe not as well with all those giant resistors. lol.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Realize that I am really a mad scientist··· and

Don't forget it!

http://raydillon.com/Images/Illustration/GameArt/WildIsle/WildIsle-Ink-ScientistClose.jpg

·
    edited 2007-08-06 14:21
    Hi Jim,

Please point me to the oxygen demo.

Thanks,
    Doug
    edited 2007-08-06 14:55
    BtBoaC64:
    yes the prop one truly is amazing, what it can do, and how much freedom it gives the coder over other lesser mortal microcontrollers. [noparse]:)[/noparse] and who knows what wonderments the prop2 will enlighten us with, I for one can't wait, but unfortunately like the rest of us, will wait [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    as for releasing stuff for the avi scalers, and converters, the scaler is a bought utility, there may be free avi resizers on the net, I may release source a bit later when I sort out a free alternative path to the create the vids for prop, once I convert them to whatever size I need, and uncompressed avi, I then run it through a converter program that I wrote, which converts it into a more prop friendly format [noparse]:)[/noparse].

hinv:
    Here's a vid of it in action - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1104233854097862067

here's a link to the original thread - http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=656148
    Just put the files back on my website, as had to remove some things to make room for new stuff [noparse]:D[/noparse]

Cheers,
    Baggers.

Edit: was to change links to real links, as quick reply doesn't change them to links [noparse]:([/noparse]

Post Edited (Baggers) : 8/6/2007 3:02:56 PM GMT
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2007-08-06 15:50
    Well Baggers, you have been busy haven't you!

I am very impressed (as always!), it would appear that the Prop community is very lucky to have someone as adept at coding as you. (No offence to the other coders here too!)

Congrats on a job very well done, I can't wait to see what you will do when you finally put all these 'Tech Demos' together!! lol.gif

Regards,

Coley
    edited 2007-08-06 16:43
    Hi Coley,
    Thx, glad you liked it [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Don't worry, I have something cool planned for this one [noparse]:)[/noparse] just hope I can pull it off [noparse]:)[/noparse] as well as my own playable of DLair, but unfortunately, I won't be able to release that one, for obvious reasons.
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2007-08-06 17:58
    try VirtualDub. free open source, can freely resize AVI files, and has an option to output each frame in a video as a .BMP file. Allows lots of filters, and has a way to write your own filters. u can use any compression codec you like. oh yea, it's fast too. ( www.virtualdub.org )

my 2 cents
    Marty

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Lunch cures all problems! have you had lunch?
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-08-06 18:23
    ImageJ by Wayne Rasband at NIH...(open sourced, pubic domain) can do the same... and you can image process each frame as you put it out.
    edited 2007-08-06 19:59
    Lawson: Just tried VirtualDub, [noparse]:)[/noparse] works well and is fast, which is always good, if only it could save bmp's as 8bit, it'd save an extra process [noparse]:)[/noparse]

ImageJ: Just tried ImageJ also, but it doesn't seem to load avi's?, then I downloaded the avi_reader, and it only seems to load one image, and ideas?