Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How many beginners would like to see a Beginners Sub Section Forum? — Parallax Forums

How many beginners would like to see a Beginners Sub Section Forum?

TonyATonyA Posts: 226
edited 2007-08-02 14:10 in Propeller 1
Hi,

I know there are other·beginners interested in the Propeller. People who don't have a formal background in programming, maybe know a little programming from using the BS2, etc.·and have tons of "dumb" questions to ask about using Spin.·

It would be nice to have a sub section called "Beginners" where people like us would feel more at ease when asking·"dumb" questions, (without having to go through that thing where it takes 20 posts to have a "beginner question" half answered because more advanced users are trying to prove a point or trying to impress each other.) <---I'm not saying that's a bad thing in itself, that's good (encouraging)·for the more advanced users, but discouraging for the beginner.

Since there aren't a lot of books available yet for the Propeller or the Hydra, I thought this would be a great thing.

It's good to have more advanced users reply to beginner questions, however in a "beginners" section they would be·more inclined to be more helpful, and as·I mentioned, I really believe it would also encourage more beginners (or people just browsing the forum who have an initial interest in the Propeller)·to ask questions that they don't understand in the manual, or that isn't in the manual.

Plus it would sell more Propellers.

The Propeller is an awesome product, I think beginners need some "hand holding" in the early stages without feeling discouraged, at least untill more books come out.

Thanks for reading.

Tony A

Comments

• Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-08-02 14:10
    An issue with this forum, as opposed to other Parallax ones, is that Propeller has attracted some very advanced users and uses. When someone asks a question, it is difficult sometimes to gauge the level of response. "How can I share variables between Cogs" - The answer has many depths depending on what level the questioner is at.

Parallax is opposed a multitude of forums, though it would be nice I feel. It would relieve some redundancy in answers if beginners could find posts easier.

A good step is if someone posting gives some indication what level they are at, either through stating it, or implying what they understand, to give some background to work from. "I understand that global variables may be shared in top level spin code, but what's the best way for lower libraries to access each others variables." This will help ensure responses are at a more appropriate level.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    StampPlot - GUI and Plotting, and XBee Wireless Adapters- Close out on Adapters!
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Electronic Systems Technologies