Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spin Bytecode Disassembler - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Spin Bytecode Disassembler

124»

Comments

• hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-09-07 22:34
    Thanks Baggers. Would you consider giving the next two variants a try - test3 and test4 ?

Don't worry; these are the last ! If they work then I'm convinced there's nothing fundamentally wrong with 32-bit PowerBasic Console executables under Vista.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-09-07 23:25
    @Hippy - all work on vista.

I didn't realise PropList runs under command line (downloaded at the time and came back later to try - without your instructions) - stupid me!!. So it does work - sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused you·confused.gif

PropList looks great smile.gif·I note it seems to miss the original spin code that PropView showed.

Post Edited (Cluso99) : 9/7/2008 11:37:25 PM GMT
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2008-09-07 23:49
    I tested the 4 exes in wine-1.0 on Fedora 8.

Using normal wine (wine test*.exe):
    test1 & test2 - No std output
    test3 & test4 - Works great

Using wineconsole (wineconsole test*.exe):
    test1 - 4 - Seems to work in the xwindow popup console. It closes right away so the output isn't easily visible.
    665 x 462 - 32K
    edited 2008-09-08 01:47
    @ Cluso99 : No problems. It at least made me investigate and I hadn't even thought about Vista compatibility which, like it or not, is used by a lot of people. I'll see if I can detect when it's been launched wrongly. At east it's not as bad as clicking on a .exe and finding it's a self extracting archive which throws files everywhere smile.gif

Missing Spin code means a bug, it's not there or it's choked itself on unicode. Try the PATCH.ZIP posted on this page earlier; that should fix unicode problems.

@ Harrison : Many more thanks for that. Test 1 & 2 use "Print" which I guess goes through the BIOS while Test 3 & 4 use "StdOut" which uses file handles. I've been tending towards the later anyway because stuff with Print cannot be redirected to file or piped. Interesting to see wine doesn't add a blank line between end of text and new command - Windows Batch files behave that way but command prompt adds one.

Good to know that the chosen development language isn't a dead duck smile.gif
    edited 2008-09-08 05:29
    @Hippy - I use unicode in just about all my spin, so thats likely the problem (I'll check the patch a little later). I am about to post the updated zero footprint debugger - stay tuned...
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-09-08 10:11
    Hippy, same results as Harrison on Vista too [noparse];)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
    edited 2008-09-08 10:21
    I tried the patch version. It mostly worked - did not see my first DAT PASM, but found the latter. (see PASM Debug with zero footprint for the code I PropList'ed). My codes a bit unusual !!!
    edited 2008-09-08 14:31
    @ Baggers : Thanks for the double-check.

@ Cluso99 : I'll take a look at your specific case and see if I can improve it. The disassembler walks the code as best it can then guesses about missing gaps. Walking code has to stop at 'jmp reg' and similar so it's never going to be perfect for all PASM but I can tweak it as I find bits it misses.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-09-08 15:07
    No probs hippy

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
    edited 2008-09-08 15:11
    @Hippy - it's not necessary to fix it. I was just looking at PropList now that I realise it uses the commandline.

One thing I was interested in·was finding out where the routines, DAT's, variables, etc·are placed. PropView and PropList certainly helped in that area.

A question for·my Spin Debugger: the output format... does something like the following make sense?? Should I show anything else? I am showing my ignorance but I only know what the bytecode is supposed to do, not how it is being used (if that makes sense).
    pcurr            dcurr      
    addr   bytecode  stack  -0         -1         -2         -3  
    $xxxx  xx xx xx  xxxx = xxxx_xxxx  xxxx_xxxx  xxxx_xxxx  xxxx_xxxx