Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SD Card Folders question (rokicki) — Parallax Forums

SD Card Folders question (rokicki)

mcstarmcstar Posts: 144
edited 2007-07-31 14:29 in Propeller 1
rokicki,
Did you ever get folders working for the SD card drivers?· I'm working on some code for backing up TI calculators via the Prop to an SD card, and replicating the folder structure would be desirable.· If not I'll work on a different approach, but I thought I'd ask before proceding.

Thanks

Comments

• rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-07-30 15:48
    Howdy!

No, haven't even started yet; you're the first person to explicitly ask.

It actually shouldn't be too hard. The usual issues apply, however; for those that
    don't need folder support, it would just make the code larger. There's no good way
    to do conditional compilation yet. (There are some "okay" ways and I may adopt
    those.)

I would not expect it to happen soon, but if people ask it will definitely happen.
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-07-30 17:38
    I would love to see folder support (with folder creation). The main reason why is because I am working on a project that requires creation of many seperate files. The current SD driver can only create 511 files in the root directory (which I believe is a limitation of the Fat16 file system). I assume multiple folders would remove the root directory file limit.

Harrison
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-07-30 18:32
    Folder support would be wonderful! Multi part programs are starting to emerge...

Because memory might be a factor in some situations, would it be possible to
    "cd" into a folder and have the setting hold even after the new .spin program is run?

(Example: I'm using Femto to launch other binaries from SD.)

I like the idea of conditional compile on this..

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-07-31 09:15
    Hi rokicki,
    Yeah, folder support would be excellent, especially with my bootloader, which lets you select a file from SD, it also allows the PC to send files through prop to SD [noparse]:)[/noparse] so no more removal and re-insertion of SD. ( unless your sending LOADSA large files, then it's prolly quicker, but you now have an option [noparse]:)[/noparse] )

Either that ( or / and [noparse]:)[/noparse] ) a seek function would be great, could mean multiple data files merged into larger files [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Cheers,
    Baggers.
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-07-31 14:29
    I would also like to see folder support. I haven't hooked up an SD card slot yet or used the routines, but I know it will be something that I will probably do in the near future.