Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ultimate Protoboard (Finally Done!) — Parallax Forums

Ultimate Protoboard (Finally Done!)

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2007-07-31 00:54 in Propeller 1
My new baby is born! I finished my own "Ultimate Protoboard" -- And like any proud parent I've got to show it off! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Every pin has two plug in points, one being switchable.
Vga/Mouse/Keyboard (of course)
The video/keyboard/mouse resistors are removable to free up pins
The SD interface is modular
Stereo Sound on P10 & P11 (Can be switched off)
Sound on P11 can be switched to P7 for Hydra compatibility
A removable video DAC which can be reversed to either pins 12-14 or 24-26
---(For both Demo & Hydra compatibility)--
Atari joystick conversion (attached to the VGA header)
Attachable XPort card. (Not shown)
Todo: A NES controller adapter

Goals of this project: Dump the breadboard, and maintain as much compatibility with hydra and demo as possible.

I'd say I pulled it off. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
653 x 493 - 76K
653 x 493 - 85K

Comments

• MightorMightor Posts: 338
    edited 2007-07-30 03:59
    That looks very cool! I have two of those protoboards coming my way this week (hopefully). Can you tell me what the DIP switches are for surrounding the chip? I noticed you have connectors before and after the DIP switches for (practically) every pin. I'd love to know why [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Gr,
    Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
    | "Wait...if that was a compliment, why is my fist of death tingling?"
    | - Alice from Dilbert
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-07-30 05:39
    The dip switches allow me to turn on/off the second row of pins around the prop.
    At the moment they aren't useful for more than changing the sound settings, but I wanted to be able to
    deactivate any plugged-in component at a moments notice to bypass a pin.

So far the best parts of this design has been the reversible video DAC and sound switch between P7 & P11
    (Face it forward on P12-P14 to be compatible with proto/demo boards)
    (Face it backward on P24-26 to be compatible with hydra boards)

Of course if you do this, you will want to replicate the removable resistor packs.

I've been playing with the rest of the demos from the Hydra book tonight
    (Only having to change NES and Crystal settings) and I'm again extremely
    pleased with that purchase. This propeller chip just keeps astounding me!

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-07-30 05:55
    Admiral job! The modular design is a good one -and it looks pretty cool too!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.
  • MightorMightor Posts: 338
    edited 2007-07-30 05:57
    Oldbitcollector,

I wasn't planning on adding video capabilities to my proto boards, I intend to use them mainly for robot-related stuff. I like the DIP switches though and I'll probably implement those [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Gr,
    Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
    | "Wait...if that was a compliment, why is my fist of death tingling?"
    | - Alice from Dilbert
    edited 2007-07-30 06:08
    Watch the right side! My contacts after the switches on that side wanted to fall across the Grn line, so I had to move them out a pin to make it work and jumper across the bottom, bypassing the Grounds. All in all worked out fine, but If I could have found dip switches that only spread across three holes instead of four, it would have been better.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-07-30 17:19
    I am absolutely excited to see a board that looks much more like my own disorderly assemblies than like the super SMD boards published otherwise smile.gif
    edited 2007-07-30 18:25
    Hehe.. Yeah, I've got to sit down and do some math and see what the actual cost of this was..
    I'm pretty sure I could have purchased the Hydra for what I've spent on this and the book,
    (not counting some of the failed addon boards that didn't quite make the cut) But I've learn
    a lot that I would have otherwise missed by building it myself.

That Hybrid and Spin Studio sure are temping... (I'm considering purchase) But there is
    something to be said of doing-it-yourself.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-07-30 20:22
    Oldbitcollector said...
    That Hybrid and Spin Studio sure are temping

I appreciate the mention, the "modular" design was exactly what I tried for, and I think I achieved with SpinStudio, and that was the first thing I noticed when this thread started, that you used the same concept of modularity(is that a word???)

Being built as modules is a smart because you are not locked into any specific set of features, and as people figure out new things to do with their Propellers, new modules can be developed.

Also, when a new Propeller comes out, all that needs to be replaced is the Mainboard, you can reuse the modules. All the other designs that are available now, will become instantly obsolete.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio
    edited 2007-07-30 23:47
    I'm not sure what prompted me to a modular design, perhaps the discussion of Spin Studio. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I'm hoping that not only will the add-on items to able to be recycled, but that the duplicating pins
    will also remain the same from Prop1 to Prop2, this would allow the software to port over seamlessly as well.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-07-31 00:54
    Oldbitcollector said...
    I'm hoping that not only will the add-on items to able to be recycled, but that the duplicating pins
    will also remain the same from Prop1 to Prop2, this would allow the software to port over seamlessly as well.

it would only make sense to use the same pin groups for common interfaces, for example, VGA is most always on P16-P23, so that existing code will run on Prop2 without changes.

Although, with prop2, I've wondered if more bits per color would be used for the VGA circuit. Similar to what Baggers has done in his example http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=660936 earlier this month.

That being said, you've done an excellent job modding your protoboard! All the add ons that I did to my own protoboard (the original "poor-man's demoboard") had everything soldered in place (both composite video and stereo sound) in addition to the existing VGA/Keyboard/mouse interfaces. It wasn't switch selectable, or unplugable, like yours is.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio

Post Edited (parts-man73) : 7/31/2007 1:06:05 AM GMT