Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
propeller memory — Parallax Forums

propeller memory

HoangTran83HoangTran83 Posts: 52
edited 2007-08-01 15:49 in Propeller 1
I am thinking of using the propeller demo board as a digital voice recorder.· However, the memory on the propeller is limited.· My goal is to record for at least 1-2 minutes or longer if possible.· Is there a way to expand the memory of the propeller?? would the new Data logger module work for this??· any help would be appreciated.· Thanks!!

Comments

• RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-07-29 23:09
    Probably the cheapest: add Large sized EEPROM's such as the 24LC1025, that series of chip allows up to four such devices on the same I2C data bus. If you took 6 pins, making three I2C busses, and connected four 24LC1025 eeproms to each bus, you'd have a storage array the approx size of 1.53MB. Up to 1.9MB if you add three more EE's to the primary I2C bus. Depending on the a/d conversion this solution would offer up to several minutes.

Prob the easiest: Spark fun electronics (online) sells an SD card module that's easily interfaced with the propeller, maximum speed and memory size depends on the SD card purchased. Also, many members of the forum are very expierienced with the SD card and would offer help should you need it.

Both methods have existing object drivers located in the object exchange on the propellers main page.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-07-30 01:16
    RinksCustoms said...
    Prob the easiest: Spark fun electronics (online) sells an SD card module that's easily interfaced with the propeller, maximum speed and memory size depends on the SD card purchased. Also, many members of the forum are very expierienced with the SD card and would offer help should you need it.

or try the Propeller SD adapter at ucontroller.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-07-30 02:17
    To answer your question about the data logger ... It might work. The main issue is the speed of the I/O transfers. There's overhead in the Vinculum chip, then in the thumb flash drive. Normally, for voice recording, the data rates are very low and the data logger should work very well and give you a way to transport the files back and forth between the Propeller and a PC.
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-07-30 06:10
    yeah, that was the other site i was trying to remember, just couldn't get it off my tongue.

turn.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.
  • HoangTran83HoangTran83 Posts: 52
    edited 2007-07-30 21:21
    thanks for all the inputs!!
  • GennadyGennady Posts: 34
    edited 2007-07-31 20:49
    Another solution - FRAM (Ramtron).

SPI bus, >20MHz, no write delay, single byte write (no pages/banks), unlimited writes.

Max capacity for now - 1 MByte (I believe), and not exactly cheap, but can be a solution for tequired time.
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
    edited 2007-08-01 00:03
    Can you point me to where I can buy the 1MByte chip you are referring to?
    What is the top speed someone has gotten this to go in actual measured transfer speed on the prop?
    At 20MHz, wouldn't that mean that you could push somewhere close to 2MB/second to the thing?
  • GennadyGennady Posts: 34
    edited 2007-08-01 15:49
    hinv said...
    Can you point me to where I can buy the 1MByte chip you are referring to?
    What is the top speed someone has gotten this to go in actual measured transfer speed on the prop?
    At 20MHz, wouldn't that mean that you could push somewhere close to 2MB/second to the thing?
    Looks like I was wrong about the max capacity - it's 4Mbit.
    The site is www.ramtron.com. And it's widely available - digikey, mouser etc.

I didn't see any references to it on· a forum, so not sure if anybody tried it with the prop.
    And since there is no delay between consecutive writes, your 2MB/S assumption seems valid.

·