Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
We appreciate you too.. — Parallax Forums

We appreciate you too..

QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
edited 2007-07-28 19:07 in Propeller 1
Just getting stuck into a prototype (yet another)·using a Proto Board and was soldering in a few components -"Parallax appreciates you as a customer !" - written on the board.. I know I saw it before but it brought a smile to my face this morning and I said I'd reciprocate ..

We appreciate Parallax too !

edit: Decided to add Pic..

QuattroRS4

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 7/28/2007 3:57:44 PM GMT
bmp
PPB.bmp 257.4K

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2007-07-28 13:53
    Quattro, I just received my Proto Board a few days ago.· I thought about what I wanted to do before I did it,· and wound up installing 4-pos pin sockets for 3.3VDC and 5VDC and a 5-pos header for Vss.· I installed an 8-pos header at Pins 16-23 for my VGA LED module, and an 8-pos header at Pins 0-7, where I presently have my DS1302 module pluged into Pins 2, 3 and 4.· I have no components soldered directly to the board, other than the aforementions sockets and headers, plus the components required for the Accessory Kit. Everything I add just plugs in, and any future modules I might make for the board will have pins so I can plug them in.· All of this makes the board extremely flexible - I can plug and unplug modules as I wish.

If you have Expresspcb, I can send you the layout for my VGA LED module.· It has a·9-pin header - the leftmost pin plugs into Vss just to the left of Pin 16 and the other 8 pins plug into Pins 16-23.· The layout shows pads for the 8 vertically installed resistors.· For a single sided board they would have to be installed from the bottom, for a board with PTH they·can be installed from the top,· If you use SMD 1206 resistors, don't drill the holes - just use the pads that will be there.· The LEDs are SMD, either red or yellow.

My Proto Board was a birthday present from one of the Parallax staff members - I appreciate Parallax, too.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift.

That is why they call it the present.

Don't have VGA?
    Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2007-07-28 14:02
    Quattro, I forgot to mention - I added an 8-pos header for Pins 8-15.· I can plug in my TV adapter module and switch from VGA to TV display.· Very handy when your VGA is tied up with something else.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift.

That is why they call it the present.

Don't have VGA?
    Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-07-28 14:05
    Sid,
    Yeah - thats nice - I regularly get custom P.C.B's made for industrial apps ..Do you not find express P.C.B restrictive though - not applicable to the industrial applications I have - as customers get the lot gerbers,schematics ... I have no problem using the proto board as a mule - The test app is for another industrial install - vibration etc ...so I have removed the switch, power supply header , and soldered in all components and piggy backed it onto another I/O module. Your approach is fine for a 'reuse' - however I can't use that approach with what I am doing (obviously can if I desoldered components etc) -

Its not really a case of 'not thinking about it before I did it' - plenty thought went into it - it has to be this way ! Loads more proto boards - just for this very sort of trial..btw - its working away nicely now !

It certainly beats the socks off the way I used to prototype / test Prop based applications before the protoboard was available !!! That was pretty time consuming ... but parallax bridged that gap nicely ..attached images of 'old' method prior to protoboards !! Goog old stripboard - then the final P.C.B made after trials - a lot of·work before the proto boards came out.
    Hence the whole point of this thread 'Parallax - we appreciate you too'

Regards,
    QuattroRS4

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 8/2/2007 11:01:27 PM GMT
    453 x 327 - 26K
  • Franz AchatzFranz Achatz Posts: 140
    edited 2007-07-28 19:02
    John,

the Proto Boards are nice but i am missing the text "never touch a V-Reg".
    I just killed a Proto Board by touching a Regulator with my fingers, per exident smile.gif)))
    I know, i am stupid.

After desoldering and soldering a new Prop Chip it is back alive smile.gif

have fun
    Franz
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-07-28 19:07
    ah yes there is life after death ! lol - the eternal question has been answered ! lol
    rgds,
    John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔