Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Simple Breadboard Tool — Parallax Forums

Simple Breadboard Tool

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2007-07-29 22:48 in Propeller 1
There are some great PCB designs being designed in this forum. You guys are true wizards!
I thought I might be able to contribute some tools for "The non-EE-wizards" in this group. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
(Like me!)

Attached to this message is a zip file containing a breadboard image as well as the start of
several items which may be common to breadboard experimenters. (The included PICAXE
chips are intended to help those PICAXE users who are talking about using the Propeller for
cool Propeller based peripherals for that chip) <<There's some interesting discussion about
this over there. [noparse]:)[/noparse]>> I'd love to see more cross-over users. (you know who you are)

Anyway, the idea of this is to provide some primitive layout tools that can be copy/pasted in
paint for basic layout design. Comments are invited.

I've updated the image to include many more parts:
Resistors, Caps, chips, regulators, SD socket, LEDs, Switches, etc.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!

Post Edited (Oldbitcollector) : 7/28/2007 8:53:20 PM GMT

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-07-28 05:12
    This is an example of what might be done with the above item.

I'd really appreciate a second set of eyes on this to verify it's correctness.

Thanks
    Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
    533 x 335 - 41K
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-07-28 06:35
    This is a nice and fresh approach! As I shall give a short introduction to the Prop Chip next month, I was thinking of making photographs from all breadboard designs to be used in the course; although this has some advantages (i.e. you are 100% sure it works), it needs a lot of populated breadboards in stock for reference and possible update.

In fact I layouted virtually exactly your example (which should be no surprise) except
    - I put the EEPROM at the left hand side
    - I used a pull-up for the SDA line as well
    - I used standard values for the video DAC (1 k, 470 R, 220 R), which works well as expected
    - I added a small RS232 converter including the neccessary reset logic, as the course cannot use the PropPlug (for budget reasons)

So thank you for your idea and the "basic tools". I shall use an editor with layers, and work with doubled precision (200 dpi). This will improve the publishing to paper as well as to the web.

Edit: Removed some typos smile.gif
    And - as always - I additionally connected both ground and 3.3 V pins of the Prop; this is probably superfluous...

Post Edited (deSilva) : 7/28/2007 11:52:47 AM GMT
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-07-28 08:26
    The propeller is wider than a standard dil

Graham
    edited 2007-07-28 13:08
    I am just playing with a demo version of a simple lay-out program called "Lochmaster" ("Loch" = Hole, "Master" = Master) where english demo versions are available www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/demoversionen.html

This program was originally conceived to simplify cutting and soldering on striped and holed breadboards, addressing the ideosyncrasies of always having so solder on the "wrong" side smile.gif

I think it can be useful for stick boards as well, but is not free...
    edited 2007-07-28 17:47
    O.k. one can get this "Lochmaster" to work. Seems the most impressive part is the backside smile.gif
    1010 x 520 - 105K
    1010 x 520 - 121K
    edited 2007-07-28 19:43
    This is just for Oldbitcollector's information..

Edit: Posting the promised Lochmaster diagram... As I suspected I did not use the original Parallax circuit, but a small "improvement" smile.gif

(10k between B and E of the NPNs and I substituted the 100nF capacitor with a 10n + 10k combination, which should give a more controlled "spike". This is not completely my own idea but backed by a circuit in the ELEKTOR magazine.)

Post Edited (deSilva) : 7/29/2007 1:41:29 PM GMT
    626 x 393 - 8K
    403 x 799 - 77K
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2007-07-29 17:00
    Oldbitcollector,

What a great little tool. I am going to try to add some of my own components! Thanks so much! If I am able to add some good stuff, I'll post it back to you. Thanks again for this good, simple idea!

deSilva,

These are nice pieces of software, but how much can you really do with just the free version? The one I tried would not let you save or print.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 7/29/2007 5:05:21 PM GMT
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-07-29 18:57
    I thought the price was pretty good if you wanted to buy.

If not just screen capture and print from paint.

Graham
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-07-29 20:32
    Very cool! Please share a new copy to this thread if you add parts or make improvements. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

This is simply a tool I wanted and couldn't find, so I figured I'd make my own.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2007-07-29 22:48
    When I get home tomorrow night, I'll post my photoshop breadboard mockup file, which has been very useful so far in optimizing my design.