Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Connecting a 68882 — Parallax Forums

Connecting a 68882

turricanturrican Posts: 6
edited 2007-07-29 18:59 in Propeller 1
Hello,

has anyone considered to connect a 68882-FPU (at 50MHz) to the Prop?

I know that there is a "Soft"-FPU which takes a cog to calculate with Float-Numbers, but i am planning a Project
where i need as much cogs i can get smile.gif

I think that the biggest Problem will be that the 68882 needs TTL-Voltage-Signals (0-5Volt) and the Prop normally
runs at 3,3 Volt... (i read already the thread about interfacing 5V-Signals to the Prop, but this handles only one
side of the Problem because 5Volts are needed as Input and Output - does anyone know if there is a bus-driver-iC
which can "translate" between the Prop and the 68882?)

Greets,

Mathias

Comments

• BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2007-07-27 21:18
    I have one of these. I haven't really played around with controlling it from the propeller much, but it looks a little cheaper than the 68882, and will run on 3.3V power, which is nice.
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2007-07-28 06:39
    A couple of level shifters will do the trick, more reliably than some resistors. The real challenge will be to program it smile.gif, I never saw in the manual how actually it gets instructions and data. But with as little as 8 Bits of Data it should work (according to Moto manual :-D), ykmv.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-07-28 07:41
    turrican said...
    i read already the thread about interfacing 5V-Signals to the Prop...
    Did you???
  • turricanturrican Posts: 6
    edited 2007-07-28 22:30
    Yes, i did - but the solution with resistors seems not so suitable for this - why do you ask?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-07-28 23:57
    See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_68881 for a description of the 68882 and how it works with a 68030 processor to do floating point. It seems like a lot of work to make this go with a Propeller. There are a variety of parts mentioned in the thread on 5V interfacing for the Propeller. The ones for interfacing I2C might work for this (like the TI TXB0104 and similar level translators).
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2007-07-29 07:57
    SN74LVC4254

focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/sn74lvc4245a.html

8 Bit CMOS/TTL Bus Transceiver for dual power supply. 1$ or so each.

This manual provides a bit of information and some circuits to connect the 68882 to the 68k processors, it does not seem very complicated, not more than a T6963 LCD controller, programming is something else:

www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/fact_sheet/BR509.pdf

There is a register map on page 12, very light on details. May be some info survived from the Amiga days, were it was connected to a 68000 in memory map mode. That could give you a hint to how to program it. If you know how to please enlighten us. I am just curious.

edit: for comment con complexity.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-07-29 13:57
    @Bergamot: Thank you for your link to the MicroMega FPU - I shall receive one during the next week and I am very, very excited to assess its power. Looks like a bargain for 20 $. I shall report a benchmark smile.gif

@Turican: Sorry for my imputation. But there is a lot more in this thread than "serial resistors". I remember, I gave a link to a comprehensive "Sparkfun Tutorial" about this matter. Most interesting using a diode in combination with a pull-up resistor.... But when neeeding really fast AND bidirectional connections, professional level shifters might be best...
  • turricanturrican Posts: 6
    edited 2007-07-29 18:59
    @deSilva: This was my oppinion too...

I have a very good book from my "old" days when i was designing and programming hardware/software-stuff for the Amiga-Computers, its named "MICROPROCESSOR SYSTEMS DESIGN, 68000 Hardware, Software and Interfacing" - its a very good book about building complete 68k-based systems from the 68000 to the 68060 even with the MMU and FPU-things. So based on this informations about the hardware AND (what is even more important to me) the software i want to connect the 68882 to the prop.
    I will have a look at the CMOS-TTL-Bus-Transciver, maybe it is suitable for this application!

Thanx for you replies!