Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Another new prop board - The Hybrid — Parallax Forums

Another new prop board - The Hybrid

ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
edited 2007-09-20 09:48 in Propeller 1
Hey guys, what's happening it's all gone a bit quiet over here.

Check out the prop forum for an update of my work in progress, The Hybrid - a joint effort between myself and Baggers the King of code tongue.gif

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=659491

Regards,

Coley

Comments

• JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-07-27 16:18
    Wow, that is pretty sweet. You get the best of both worlds of memory and SD card. I really love the nes pads, but since the connectors are so hard to find the 9 pin ports aren't so bad. Also it is pretty easy to make Atari style joysticks.
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2007-07-27 17:51
    Thanks JT,

I'll be modding the board layout for I2C breakout off the EEPROM that will give the Hybrid even more depth.

And yes you are right about the joysticks but it doesn't need to be a joystick does it?

Think of it more like 16 digital inputs presented in a convenient and available connector!

Thinking about it I may even put a header on for cascading some more shift registers...

Regards,

Coley
    edited 2007-07-27 19:23
    Yeah it will·make adding your own inputs since the 9 pin connectors are standard parts.

Also what are those long brown parts connected to the two joystick and SD card interfaces? I am still a newb with electronics.
  • edited 2007-07-28 00:30
    Great! [noparse]:D[/noparse]· Your new prop board is·great, however I'd suggest adding Extra slots for SRAM'z and or other data storage devices. It would allow even more! :O

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Realize that I am really a mad scientist··· and

Don't forget it!

http://raydillon.com/Images/Illustration/GameArt/WildIsle/WildIsle-Ink-ScientistClose.jpg

·
    edited 2007-07-28 08:37
    @JT Cook

Those brown long thing are the pull up resistors for the joystick inputs so that they are held at a logic high until the joystick grounds them when the switch is pressed.
    They are just in a convenient package that's all, they are called bussed resistor networks.

@Bob

LOL, the interfaces are maxed out now I have used every single pin available of the Prop.
    If you look at the design closely you'll see a Hydra compatible expansion slot for the SRAM.
    Baggers has already started with some development and the early results are stunning.
    The combination of SRAM card and SD storage is awesome.

The prop never ceases to amaze me, I've never seen so much come out of a small micro, well done Chip!!

Regards,

Coley
  • edited 2007-07-28 23:46
    Funny thing is Baggers·can·do almost anything with·4 propellor chips. [noparse]:o[/noparse], Btw I sort of goofed up on that post, I was also going to say 2 propellor chips, but that wouldn't really be necessary, cause you can allways connect more than one SRAM to the slot with wires, lol.

p.s If you happen to find a 64 MB SRAM in Mouser, you probabilly could take advantage of the power the propellor REALLY has.

·jumpin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Don't forget it!

http://raydillon.com/Images/Illustration/GameArt/WildIsle/WildIsle-Ink-ScientistClose.jpg

Post Edited (Bob the Builder on a C64) : 7/29/2007 2:18:16 AM GMT
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-07-29 07:13
    Thanks BtBoaC64 [noparse]:)[/noparse]

But one SD + the SRAM is fine enough [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I'm just doing a PC drag and drop to hybrid SD app now which is built into my hybrid boot loader, so you won't even have to keep removing the SD card to add and files [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Baggers.

PS, I've also done a 640x480 text display PAL/NTSC in a single cog.
    edited 2007-07-29 10:11
    Bob,

the expansion slot is for Hydra compatible cards of which one happens to be 512K SRAM.

We cannot attached SRAM directly although it would be nice if we could lol

Watch out for some exciting news from Baggers in the next few weeks.

Think of it this way, 640*480 Text, SD Storage, 512K SRAM, Keyboard, Mouse, RS232 and Joysticks it's just like an 8 bit computer - but better!!!!

Regards,

Coley
  • edited 2007-07-31 19:00
    it's fun to have 8-bit games, but sometimes you eventually get bored of the same game... Has anyone thought of making packs of old games and storing them in the SD? or maybe some sort of program that·compiles program data·into a Hydra-readable format? for example, C to Spin, or AVI to·Spin or C64BASIC to·Spin?

Cause, The propellor·has strength to make·16 bit color. even 24 bit. just·using an SD would allow alot more.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Don't forget it!

·
    edited 2007-07-31 19:56
    Bob said...
    you eventually get bored

Then maybe you should write your own games, just doing that will ease the boredom.
    Baggers has an SD card boot menu system, press reset, browse to the file you want press return and hey presto, no more boredom.

He has already done, Manic Miner, JetPac, Snakes.
    EP Moyer has done a great job with Space War
    Cardboard Guru has done the excellent Dodgy Kong
    JT Cook has done the fabulous XRacer
    Not to mention all the Hydra demos.....
    All running off an SD Card menu system......

There is little chance of the converters you mentioned but if you have the source code why just not convert them yourself?
    For me it's not about playing the games although it is great fun it's about learning how to get the best out of the Prop.

Some of the guys on this Forum have done amazing things with this little chip, they are making the building blocks for you, use them and see what you can do.

Good luck Bob!

Regards,

Coley
    edited 2007-08-01 02:19
    Bob, if you want to be technical, all the prop games are 32 bit, only the display is 8 bit. Also 8 bit is not a huge limitation, you just need good art. Also you will probably never see any of those converts. A C to Spin converter would be useless because anything you are trying to port over from a PC wouldn't work anyway for a number of reasons and would have to be equally rewritten in length, so you might as well write it in SPIN. Also a C64 basic to SPIn wouldn't work because you basiclly need a c64 emulator to take advantage of the features. Besides 99.9% of the games were written in full or partial ASM.

Bob I think you need to flex your programming muscle and contribute to Hydra game pool.
  • edited 2007-08-01 21:55
    The Propellor isn't really limited to 8 bit, It actually can achive 16 bit, if modified, but the hydra, it's limited to 8 bit unless you somehow do something with the expansion card.

Right now I'm just struggling to get anywhere with it, all I have is a graphics modification of pitfall scrolling demo wiith movement. It could evolve if someone here knew a way I could make the enviroment scroll but the guy start at the edge and stay in the center as the enviroment moved, and somehow fix collision...

It's all I got. to make it work perfectly I need somebody to explain what @=3+4x111rao139490 and all that giberish for the collision detection means! D: I'm confused mostly because every program has yucky junk in it that does something, but does not make sense to me. I've tampered with it for a while, and with no results. JT, do you think that you could somehow explain to me some of this in a PM? I'm actually somewhat close to something good, just got stuck on the way of modifying.

What happenned to that 256 color driver? I've lost track of it.

P.S All I need to get it done is help on collision detection, jumping, using sprites instead of tiles,256 color pallete, how to make sprites·multiply in size and·how to make the enviroment side scroll and the player only be able to go until the center of the screen while the level scrolls.

I have so many problems programming because the book doesn't help me the way I'd like. It got me to starting a game,but after that, I became stuck permanantly. I've tried other demos for modifying, they are alot harder than this one.

I've read the book, just maybe reading the meaning of every single command would be better... It's annoying to have so many commands that are all unhelpfull in the prop manual...All I need is usefull ones.

[noparse]:note:[/noparse] HELP!!! confused.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Don't forget it!

·
    edited 2007-08-08 02:10
    Sorry Bob, I can't help you out. I don't even have the Hydra book or the demos that Andre made to go along with it. My advice would be to start out on something smaller. Also I haven't seen the book, but I would check to see if there is·a section that describes collision detection and how it works in theory too.
  • edited 2007-08-08 23:38
    It's actually the easiest program for me to modify... It's just odd how propellor language has random letters that don't make sense for collision detection...yet it actually does something.

The Hydra's language is much weirder than C is for me. I bet C is harder to learn, but spin is hard to understand sometimes...

P.S Excuse me for the insane panic attack lol.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Don't forget it!

·
    edited 2007-09-20 09:48
    *BUMP*

Boards are in now see main post in Prop forum for details

Regards,

Coley