Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Who invented the Prop? — Parallax Forums

Who invented the Prop?

PropabilityPropability Posts: 142
edited 2007-09-01 04:28 in Propeller 1
This thread over in AVRFreaks looks intersting http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=52409

·

Comments

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2007-07-26 00:19
    AllN (Iin AVRFreaks) said...
    wrote:
    Looks like fun to me!!

toalan wrote:
    Anyways the propeller is a great example of one man's dreams, 1 person designed the entire chip.

Regards,

Alan To
    Actually it wasn’t his dream or idea first at least! If he is honest, in 1990 I started building a PC controlled autopilot using his Basic Stamp. My fist embedded project. I had created a RS-232 network with three of them. A few months latter, during a forum chat describing my network I told Chip what I really wanted was a multi-core processor with shared memory for this project. Chip Gracey called me by landline twice and we discussed MY idea. No money, didn’t do any of the work, but a little credit would be nice!

It’s a very small world,
    John
    Necessity is the mother of invention but the necessity doesn't invent it. The statement "what I really wanted" is the necessity, but he didn't invent or design anything from what I could gather. Chip may have been stimulated by this "I want" but I would say it is all Chip's hard work and ingenuity and the credit shouldn't go to anyone else.

*Peter*
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-07-26 00:38
    It seems pretty pathetic to me. Is he saying he invented multicore processors or shared ram? The things that make the propeller so good is the specific way in which it works.

Graham
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-07-26 01:21
    Oh my God .....

- I really want to be younger,quicker,better,more intelligent,faster ..........

Chip - that was my Idea before you deciphered the code and made a great chip !!! So when is prop3 coming out when we all can live for ever..look better...be richer....and take over the world (before anyone does it ---- it ws my idea) time is running out.. and I want one that does all that and more

Quattro

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 7/26/2007 7:36:26 PM GMT
  • OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2007-07-26 01:38
    Hi All.

For anybody to claim that it was their idea however a long time ago is a little silly.
    Please John in CA take no offence .. but for people in the know .. multi core processors
    have been around for a long time..
    Check out http://www.colorforth.com/bio.html mr Chuck Moore like Mr Chip Gracey is a true legend..
    Mr Chuck Moore was doing stuff like that 20 years ago..

The Propeller is for the masses .. it has some quirky things about it .. but it is totally awesome..

Cheers
    Ronald Nollet AUSTRALIA
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-07-26 03:26
    IMO that's the problem with software patents - the ones I've read about (that make the news) aren't granted for the implementation of an idea, but for the idea itself. (Example: the one-click ordering patent suit against Amazon).

Anyone can have an idea for something, but there's a large difference between having the idea to do something, and actually doing it.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2007-07-26 04:28
    >>> Anyone can have an idea for something, but there's a large difference between having the idea to do something, and actually doing it.

If Chip & the person quoted really did have a couple of phone conversations about the concepts behind the Propeller, then what's wrong with acknowledging the fact?
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2007-07-26 04:52
    Chip has been developing the Prop over 8 years which means that the phone conversation happened years before he even started. Would you remember every phone conversation you ever had. Chip has done nothing wrong or improper. Sometimes I come up with a solution to a problem that some customer may have stated but I don't always recall that specific customer or problem. That's what it was with this other guy, it was a problem and gee wouldn't it be nice. What Chip came up with is a far cry from anything that this guy mentioned.

Plus consider any prior art as well.
    I remember a chip from Rockwell in the 80's that combined two 6502's on the one chip that shared memory and I/O by interleaving their access as 6502s only access when their clock is high. While one chip was on a clock low the other would be on a clock high and able to access the bus.

There are plenty of inventors out there who invent things while they sit on the dunny and take the "invention" to an engineer to "build" it. rolleyes.gif
    Notice the words "invention" and "build", what they really mean is "I want but don't know how" and "you invent/design/build".

*Peter*
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-07-26 05:13
    Chip loves to share ideas he is ruminating over, if you are near him he will discuss what new little thing he's been thinking of. I am sure there are dozens of people he talked about the idea to at the same time as he did with the guy. I don't know anything about this guy or what they discussed, or who was the genesis.

I have a long laundry list of ideas that I've never done anything with, and some of those ideas (like a rain sensor that automatically controls the windshield wipers) were subsequently invented by others. Instead of griping "that was my idea", I think "awesome, I knew that was a good idea".

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 7/26/2007 6:11:41 AM GMT
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-07-26 05:55
    That guy is a hoser.

I've exchanged messages with Chip. I stumbled on this product on a lark actually. Turns out it's just a kick and I'm stoked and having a lot of fun.

Others may have explored this idea, with him, or without him. Fine.

But, this chip is his. The stories of people looking on with indifference, the long effort, his views on computing and the solid design in general fit who he is and what he's about. I got to read his feelings of joy and satisfaction (and vindication too), over people enjoying his work, all of us learning things (him included) about what it really can and can't do. We exchanged words over people being attracted to the Propeller because it's really different and it's really solid. This product is a work of passion. Passion for discovery, love of the art and strong ideals about how to make things better. I'm here because of that. And the beauty of it is that is exactly what Chip worked so many years for.

(and thanks Chip for making computing fun -your time was well spent)

Let me put it this way. The Propeller is the first product that has made me consider some regret over being away from electronics and computing at this level for so long. Slice it, dice it, that's just cool and everybody knows it. This guy knows it.

Let's see this guy express and more importantly follow through on even a fraction of that, for a sustained time, and end up with something this solid that just screams, "play with me, learn, grow, do" and we can talk about who invented what and when.

There is no doubt who willed this fun product into being, and that's all that really needs to be said.

(It just chaps my Smile to see others say these kinds of things. It's false and only fools buy into it. Sorry.)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Post Edited (potatohead) : 7/26/2007 6:12:51 AM GMT
  • Shane De CataniaShane De Catania Posts: 67
    edited 2007-07-26 06:33
    So we're all agreed then... its Chip's chip. Chip been chipping away at it for a long time now. You could say the propeller is a chip off the old block, right? OK probably not.
    Mmmm chips... I'm off to lunch now - think I'll have fish 'n chips.
    wink.gif
    edited 2007-07-26 09:17
    That guy (IMO) is a spanner ..
    QuattroRS4

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 7/26/2007 8:12:53 PM GMT
    edited 2007-07-26 09:32
    Hi Quatrro.

Please explain..

This story is starting to sound like when Audi NSU people invented the "Wankel" engine.
    Remember the NSU R80 ???

The Japanese jumped on the band wagon and virtually claimed that they invented the Rotary Engine
    in Europe referred to as the Wankel Engine ..( The inventor is Felix Wankel)
    From what I gather they ..the Japanese paid Audi NSU huge royalty fees to use the technology..

For awhile Suzuki produced a motorbike with a rotary engine.. it was a flop.

Cheers
    Ronald Nollet
    edited 2007-07-26 09:51
    Ron,
    Yeah I remenber that ... A friend of mine is a bike freak and has two of those Suzuki bikes in his collection.
    I can take and post some pics if there is any interest ...
    The Deutsches Museum in munich (Germany) has a few wankels disected on display with all the background.

Re. 'Please explain' ... Just because a guy has a phone conversation with Chip doesn't mean that he co-invented
    the prop. A spanner is a term used in this country to describe a nut case (spanner - nut - you get the deal ..that said its a a 'wrench'' for all you states side !·)
    I suppose it is not really accurate when you consider that a spanner is a useful thing.

I have a great many friends in various lines of business plastics, electronics, software, toolmaking, automotive, aeronautical, engineering etc and we regularly gather for a brainstorming session - whereby we use each other as 'sounding boards' for various ideas and thrash out the intricicies of various possibilities - many of which have come to fruition and many died on the spot - the point here being - at no stage has any other one of us decided that 'this was my idea' - we can all recognise the fact that these gatherings are merely a means to fine tune and thrash out the various aspects of an idea and therefore we could not or would not lay claim to a successful idea.

What other offerings has this guy ?? Lets compare..
    I want a chip to rule the world and if anyone makes it - remember that I thought of it first !

Regards,
    Quattro

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 7/26/2007 9:58:26 AM GMT
    edited 2007-07-26 10:22
    Hi Quatrro
    Yep got it ..we have another term here it starts with a W and ends with a R...

Email the pics across to my private email .. I am a keen biker .. big Honda fan
    XR's for the bush and Honda Transalp for the road and a little dirt..

cheers
    Ron
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2007-07-26 11:25
    :-D LOL
    Following the logic of this fellow everyone that posted on the huge thread "What would you want more of, cogs or RAM?"
    would be a "co-inventor" of the prop 2!
    http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=156993
    That will be quite a long credit list... wink.gif
    I think it is great that Parallax listens to whishes from their customers, but this doesn't turn customers into developers, does it?

cheers,

Clemens
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2007-07-26 11:43
    Those Japanese Wankel motors...

My uncle had a Mazda 1300 that he had stuffed so full of electronics(there were so many antennas on the roof that people though it was some kind of spy-car, or checking for unlicensed TVs...) that he had to intall a Wankel instwead of the straight-4 just to be able to get it up to the speed limit...

Unfortunately, he was also 'a bit heavy' on the accellerator sometimes, and if he pushed that engine while it was still cold, a gasket in the middle burst, necessitating yanking the engine from the car and splitting it in half.

I'm told that modern Wankels are rather more reliable...

As for being the one behind an idea...
    Unless he can show that HE thought how the COGs were to access the HUB and shared resources, he doesn't have anything to go on. Everyone can think of 'shared RAM multi-kernel CPUs', but to actually figure out how they will be working together is the hard part.
    One of my hobbies is to design small computer systems... (on paper... None of them has ever gone further than that... )
    Drawing a block(or 8 or 16) and marking them CPU, then adding a few lines maked 'bus', then a few boxes called RAM, ROM, I/O is simple enough. Then you need to start adding CONTROL lines, handshaking, commnications protocols.
    Maybe Semaphores even.

This is messy... usually...
    The Propeller is unique in that it does multi-processing 'cleanly'.
    It's so 'clean' that you can't believe it at first, and always catch yourself looking through the manual for a chapter 'Advanced topics: introduction to multi-procesing and pitfalls'...

This kind of elegance is practically impossible to achieve with more than one person working on the design.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2007-07-26 12:22
    Whenever something new surfaces that is unique, popular, and ultimately successful inevitably some idiot comes out of the woodwork and claims it was originally their idea and was conceived out of a conversation they had with the person who actually came up with the concept.

This guy fits that profile perfectly!!
  • viskrviskr Posts: 34
    edited 2007-07-26 13:42
    Of course he invented the internet too.

Among the first commercial products to use a multicore processor came from Echelon in the early 90s, the first prototype was built in 1987 (I was the CPU designer for that 4 CPU design, later made 3). At the time we were looking to see what we could patent and found numerous prior examples in the literature, so a broad patent was out of the question.

So the idea is not a new one, and probably goes back to the early days of computing in the 60s.
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2007-07-26 13:52
    I think only Chip could know the true answer to this question. But, what the guy thought of was an obvious innovation of technology, which does not warrant much. Chip, I assume, owns the copyright (or whatever is the correct legal name) to the Masks that actually make up layers of silicone, which is the scarce good. He designed them, and owns them. Instead of patenting it, they keep it a company secret, in the end the same results, protected design (I assume it is not patented).

I think Chip is doing exactly what any clever and creative dude does, innovate. I would expect him not to care where the idea came from, or to get into a pissing match over who invented what. Instead, he keeps on innovating. By innovating, he stays ahead of the competition, and thus maintains his market and a successful business model.

So, let us all give this guy an "adda-boy" for pointing out the obvious next step in microcontrollers. Let us give Chip our money for actually designing and executing it.

-Parsko
  • BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2007-07-26 14:59
    Hey, we should have a pill that cures cancer.

Be sure to send the Nobel Prize my way when somebody gets around to working out the details.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2007-07-26 16:07
    Well, I don't remember having this conversation, but if the person said it occurred, it probably did. I do not think, however, that it could have served any other purpose than to validate the mutually-held notion that multiprocessing was needed in embedded systems.

If there was anyone else who had any impact on the design, it was definitely Jeff Martin at Parallax. He was instrumental in·resolving·architectural-aesthetic issues, especially regarding Spin.

There is some other guy on the internet who writes at length about how he and I had a conversation way back when,·where he "actually gave·Chip Gracey·the idea for the BASIC Stamp", or something like that.·I think I would be able to recall something so formative as this.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Chip Gracey (Parallax)) : 7/26/2007 6:20:14 PM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-07-26 16:48
    Thanks for weighting in Chip. I know this is going to open a can of worms because everyone has an opinion on it, but the US law pertaining to patents clearly states that the applicant must have "reduced thier invention into practice". What this means is they must have a living, breathing, working prototype. The Patent Office no longer has the requirement that a prototype accompany the application because there simply is no space to store them, but the law is still on the books and if there becomes serious doubt the Office can demand the working protoype as proof (the only catagory of applications this is standard practice to do is applications which claim purpetual motion or energy). And in patent litigation any party can require the other to demonstrate thier prototype. As far as ideas in themselves are concerned, they mean absolutely nothing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-07-26 17:46
    Hey, I came up with the idea of claiming the propellor as my concept! That guy on avrfreaks stole my idea!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
    edited 2007-07-26 20:23
    Chip Gracey said...
    There is some other guy on the internet who writes at length about how he and I had a conversation way back when, where he "actually gave Chip Gracey the idea for the BASIC Stamp", or something like that. I think I would be able to recall something so formative as this.

I am sure he would have backed out if he was forwarded legal correspondence when the Microchip v Scenix and Parallax debacle was topical !

Regards,
    Quattro

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 7/26/2007 8:29:29 PM GMT
  • SkogsgurraSkogsgurra Posts: 231
    edited 2007-07-26 21:39
    Gadgetman said: "This kind of elegance is practically impossible to achieve with more than one person working on the design"

How true. And how true it is that the Propeller brought joy back into embedded control. I used to have a younger guy doing PIC programming for my little applications, but unfortunately, he left. I feel a little too old for a new WW with all these IDE:s and architectures. OK, I am using FORTH on ARM processors, but I was looking for something that REALLY brought joy back in programming. And that, the Propeller did.

We do not need to discuss claims from other guys. They have always popped up, mostly from people with very limited horizons (and usually with fathers and mothers that have told them what geniuses they are, even if they are plain as floor).

I know, this sounds like I was in some kind of a sekt - but I am not. Just very happy and grateful. For reasons that can be had for about ten bucks a piece.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-07-26 23:14
    I assume Chip is talking about the author of Practical Embedded Java (also author of a BASIC book). I ran across the author's webpage which contains a paragraph on his talks with Chip when I was looking at embedded ethernet modules. The guy doesn't seem too bitter, probably because he has his own line of embedded processor modules that run Java. Link: www.practicalembeddedjava.com/WhyJava.html

As for the Propeller: I think it is an amazing chip with so many possibilities. It is nearly impossible these days to find a microcontroller with a compact IDE, easy to use programming interface, and low cost. I couldn't believe that Parallax was able to produce such an amazing chip and sell it for such a low price. What amazes me even more is the fact that there are no known problems with the chip.

What confuses me is how so many people simply discount the Propeller as a well designed chip because Chip used Altera FPGAs to design the chip architecture. They make it seem like Chip downloaded an open core, copied it 8 times, and stuck in shared memory. I have seen this in more than one online forum, which mostly contain people who also bash the Basic Stamp as a horrible device that should have never been invented. Imagine what the world would be like if Parallax didn't exist.

Post Edited (Harrison.) : 7/26/2007 11:28:00 PM GMT
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-07-27 00:37
    I think this shows why some people like to work in isolation, you work hard on something and someone then comes along and climbs on your giant shoulders and makes a suggestion for the next step that you would probably have come to anyway but by then its too late.

I don't think that even happened in this case the guy justs wants recognition for something (anything).

Graham
    edited 2007-07-27 00:54
    my money is on this guy....LOL

www.radio.cz/en/article/33185

Said I'd try lighten it up a bit ...

Quattro

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-07-27 01:45
    There for the lack of a business, some good and trusty engineers, with experience and decent table manners, get along with clamoring forum public a must, a decent production staff and long time contacts throughout the known universe, adequate bankrolling by private equity, yes for all of these things, he too could be famous.

Wonder what his name is now? Do-when Jones, Could-a-Bin Smith, Sour Graphilus, Toad E Patent Roll?????
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-07-27 02:48
    Hand Graham the prize!

Nailed it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!