Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Two questions for Bean — Parallax Forums

Two questions for Bean

rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
edited 2007-07-29 13:17 in Propeller 1
Bean,

I'm a huge fan.

I was wondering whether your video overlay board could be used as a sync separator... to drive lcd glasses for 3dTV?

AND... I was wondering if I could use the video overlay board to replace the photoresistor of my paranormal imager with a video camera?... to sample and record from the video signal over time.

Thanks,

Rich

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-07-24 14:52
    Rich,
    Do you mean to drive 3d glasses with images the Propeller creates ? Or do you mean to take a video input and output each field on a different video output ?

Hmmm, Not sure I totally follow what you want to do, but the HC-OSD does NOT digitize the incoming video signal. It only finds the sync in it, then the overlay dots are "forces" onto the incoming signal.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Teacher: What is the difference between ignorance and apathy ?
    Student: I don't know and I don't care
    Teacher: Correct !
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-07-24 16:34
    Hope I am not hijacking the thread, but I have tried capturing video using an ADC and a sync separator chip before. It isn't really hard, but you will want to get a fast ADC to be able to sample the video 'pixel' in a fast enough manner. The only issue is that it does take a relatively long time to capture a 'frame' unless you optimize your ADC read routines.

I posted a bit about this technique a while back: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=623401. An example captured image is posted. Note that it took about 114 seconds to capture that one image, so that means your video in has to be static for 114 seconds or else you will get ghosting.
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-07-29 13:17
    Bean,

sorry about the delay. Real life called.

One way to get 3D on a tv is to alternate left and right views (which means first interlacing the images...one field for left eye and one field for the right eye)... then it is simply a matter of using LCD glasses as a "shutter" synchronized to the vertical sync.

This doesn't require any digitizing... simply strobing the LCD glasses with a synch signal.

On the commercial side of things... there is actually a company call 3DTV... run by one of the nicest guys in the world, a technical 3D guru ... he's always looking for new apps and toys.

A second app... which I think your overlay board might satisfy is cheap 3D soft copy... a way of manually correctly stereophotometry results (correcting automated data analysis... which is used by nearly everyone in stereophotometry... including USGS, etc.

I am also interested in playing with video ADC... to help me develop and pin down my understanding of video signals and was wondering how much could be done with your board and no(or very little) additional circuitry.

Thanks,

Rich