Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller controlled servos — Parallax Forums

Propeller controlled servos

BipedPeteBipedPete Posts: 8
edited 2007-07-24 21:18 in Propeller 1
How many servos can be controlled by a Propeller?

I have some biped robot experience and I want to try one with the propeller. The one I am working on currently has 12 servos. It is basically two legs. Can a Propeller handle that? If so, should I get the Proto board or the stand alone chip?

Post Edited (BipedPete) : 7/23/2007 7:56:23 PM GMT

Comments

• CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2007-07-23 20:12
    for lots of servos I like the Propeller Robot Controller

www.wulfden.org/PRC/index.shtml

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax Forums - If you're ready to learn, we're ready to help.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-07-23 20:36
    The Propeller chip itself can handle up to 32 servos. Practically, it can handle 28 since the EEPROM is on pins 28 and 29 and the PC serial link is on pins 30 and 31. These pins can be reused once a program is loaded and running, but servos on those pins would need additional circuitry to disable them while the initialization process is taking place.
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-07-24 16:46
    I'm sure I've seen an OBJect that claims to be able to run 96 servos, but it would need additional circuitry (multiplexers?) to achieve this.

Has anyone actually tried it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • BipedPeteBipedPete Posts: 8
    edited 2007-07-24 17:35
    Thanks for these answers. I will order the Propeller soon.
  • BipedPeteBipedPete Posts: 8
    edited 2007-07-24 17:36
    Thanks also for the Link CJ.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2007-07-24 21:18
    BipedPete,

Here is the thread mentioned....
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=576634

When I wrote the code for the 96 Servo driver, the progression was originally from the 32 Servo driver.
    ...Which led to a hardware version to control 48 Servo's. The 48 version was actually a baseline limit due to timing
    restrictions of a standard servo. The 96 Servo version and then 144 Servo version are double and triple duty versions
    of the 48 Servo driver.

simonl,

When I tested the Servo Controllers, I tested them in "Hardware" groups of 8 with the software running as though all servos were connected.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 7/24/2007 9:23:46 PM GMT