Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller as a BS1 — Parallax Forums

Propeller as a BS1

hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
edited 2007-07-23 19:15 in Propeller 1
I want to develop a programming language and a tool chain which will allow novice and less experienced programmers to utilise the Propeller without having to worry about learning Spin, Assembler or Objects.

I understand the arguments in favour of using Spin and Assembler, and the case against what I am proposing and in favour of other alternatives, but it is something I want to do and I do not really want to get bogged down in justifying my intentions.

I am thinking of a BS1-style language, initially converted to Spin as a simple language translator but would like to eventually move to generating raw eeprom images without using the Propeller Tool.

I understand Parallax does not document the Spin bytecode and I am prepared to put in the reverse engineering effort required but helping hands to save re-inventing the wheel are always welcome. It appears that www.sublab.net/spin.html has gone and the next best option is perhaps digging through Gear. A forum search and Googling turned up nothing else that seemed useful, but if anyone has any helpful pointers or advice they would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-07-23 17:59
    If you're going to do a BS1-style language, I'd strongly suggest basing your tool chain on the Propeller itself. BS1 PBasic is simple enough that you could do a compiler in Spin. You could start off with a simple IDE that includes an interpreter (sort of like FemtoBasic), then later compile to either Spin byte code or your own interpretive code. Again, for a BS1-style language, you could do your own interpreter in assembly rather than use Spin's.
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-07-23 19:15
    A propeller based solution is an idea, but I'd prefer to start with a PC-based system because I'd like to extend the programming language as I get more familiar with the Propeller myself and it seems an easier solution for sharing source files with others, and all the benefits that come with a PC-based IDE.

I probably will write some interpreter later and it is quite likely there will be some convergence. My principle was KISS, start with something which I know I can handle and build on that as I gain experience.