Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
space invaders clock — Parallax Forums

space invaders clock

Jason HicknerJason Hickner Posts: 21
edited 2007-07-18 22:49 in Propeller 1
I made this space invaders clock for my office. It's not the most advanced code but it's fun to watch! [noparse]:)[/noparse] I'm still learning the graphics stuff so this was actually a lot of work for me, mostly just trying to pick apart the graphics demo and figure out how things work.

The number of aliens represent the minutes, and the number of extra lives represent the hours. The time is also displayed in the last 4 digits of the high score just to make it easy.

galagaclock.jpg

More info and a video here:
www.pr0jects.com/blog/2007/07/15/spaceinvaders-clock/

Comments

• CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-07-16 09:35
    LOL! Fun idea. How about a flying saucer which takes 1 minute to cross the screen?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
  • azmax100azmax100 Posts: 173
    edited 2007-07-16 11:46
    Hi Jason,

What a fun idea using the prop graphic cababilities.

Andre'l if u read this, this what i meant on my other thread about learning graphics with prop. It's not just about games.

Anyway well done· Jason.

How about publishing the code together with the explaination for novice like me.

At least can clear something in my head.
  • Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2007-07-16 15:26
    Hi, Jason
    Cool project !

Rob7
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-07-16 16:39
    That is pretty sweet! Where is the source?
  • Jason HicknerJason Hickner Posts: 21
    edited 2007-07-16 18:00
    Ha! That flying saucer idea is a good one... I may do that! I should have posted the source before I started mucking around and changing things. At the moment it's in a non-working state as I'm over the memory limit. I added some more to the star field and now the app is too big and I've got to either get rid of the double-buffering or figure out how to optimize some more.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Jason
    www.pr0jects.com/
  • Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
    edited 2007-07-17 02:25
    Very clever idea! I like it a lot. Can't wait to see it after you do your improvements.
  • edited 2007-07-17 20:29
    wow... that is great !!!

There is an article on Engadget about your creation... Sweet!!!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/17/space-invaders-clock-tells-time-invades-spaces/

Post Edited (Joe "Bot" Red) : 7/17/2007 8:34:17 PM GMT
  • PatMPatM Posts: 72
    edited 2007-07-18 02:45
    That is funtastically brilliant!

Now just design one for $59.95 and sell it at Wallmart!
    ·
  • BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2007-07-18 13:47
    Joe said...
    ot" Red"]wow... that is great !!!

There is an article on Engadget about your creation... Sweet!!!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/17/space-invaders-clock-tells-time-invades-spaces/

And one on Gizmodo:

gizmodo.com/gadgets/ufo.clock/space-invaders-clock-made-from-an-old-tv-and-propeller-chip-279157.php
  • Jason HicknerJason Hickner Posts: 21
    edited 2007-07-18 21:46
    I don't know how endgadget and gizmodo found this thing, but it's pretty cool to be featured there! Now I'm thinking about making a bunch of these things to give out as gifts, with different themes to kind of match the specific TV. Here's a new one I just found for $16 bucks on ebay:

612e_12.JPG

Thinking something like helicopter rescue for this one. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Also, the old clock used the serial connection to update the time from my computer, but having it standalone would be so much cooler. So I'm going to use DS1302's in the next few. There's already spin code for the interface on the object exchange, so it should be a pretty easy update. If I can fit it in memory that is. But I figure I'm dumping fullduplexserial so I should have some room.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Jason
    www.pr0jects.com
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-07-18 22:49
    If you're thinking of doing this with other games, Gyrus and Tempest would be good, being games you play round the edge of a circle. You could make the claws on tempest flick back and forward like a pendulum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com