Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where can I buy the other components? — Parallax Forums

Where can I buy the other components?

James NewmanJames Newman Posts: 133
edited 2007-07-13 23:24 in Propeller 1
I don't yet own a propeller chip. I was looking into using one to design a circuit around, however. My problem is that if I decided to make more of these, maybe even market them, I know I can buy the propeller themselves right here. What about the other needed components for a propeller system? I have no problem getting the voltage regulators I'll need, or even the crystal, but I don't know about the EEPROM. What exact kind would I need? Better yet, where can I buy the one that comes with the kits here?

A list of components needed to run a pre-programmed propeller in a generic circuit, and where to buy them would be great. I may just be missing this somewhere on the site? I looked through the kits, and they all seem to have extras.

Thanks in advance,
James

Comments

• rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-07-13 19:18
    I believe all the standard stuff you can get from Digikey or numerous other suppliers,
    in quantities from 1 to 1000. Digikey is remarkably responsive even for the smallest
    orders. If you can't find a specific part, I'm sure people in the forum would be happy
    to help you look it up.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2007-07-13 19:29
    Mouser electronics is another good supplier. I find that they are cheaper on some things and that Digikey is cheaper on others, so I always check them both.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-07-13 19:34
    We also publish reference schematics for the Propeller setup here: http://www.parallax.com/propeller/media.asp
    and publish the schematic of products within the document availible for download from their respective·product page. These include the part numbers of components.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • LoridanLoridan Posts: 12
    edited 2007-07-13 23:24
    James, after looking into this myself, if you want to build something from this chip your best bet is to start with one of the protoboards. Let me tell you why.
    The protoboard is low cost and already has all the connections/regulators including a dc connection simply waiting for you to plug a wall adapter in. It even has the header already connected so that you can connect a prop plug and start programming. Simply solder your other components to the board and go with it www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=32212. All this for less than $25!
    The fact is with everything going ROHS and Pb free, a through hole prototype board with contacts on one side will cost twenty bucks, I couldn't believe the prices for the most simple prototyping hardware on Mouser, it's disgusting. I figure they have to pay the Malaysians more to scrape the lead off [noparse];)[/noparse].
    What I would recommend is that you purchase one of the resistor variety packs off of Mouser, so that you will have plenty to choose from when dividing up the voltage. This is where I'm starting anyway. I figure if I blow something I'll only be out a wopping 25 bucks.