Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
showing changes in prom data — Parallax Forums

showing changes in prom data

gwk_auburngwk_auburn Posts: 6
edited 2007-07-11 04:40 in Propeller 1
confused.gif·How do you verify: show changes in prom data compared to·a file?
·I have some change in prom from my saved file and the prom program is working.
·My questions is what did I do. It's·someplace in prom !!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-07-11 03:57
    If you have a Protoboard or a Hydra or any other Propeller development board that has at least 64K of boot EEPROM, it's relatively easy.
    1) Once you have the changed version in the boot EEPROM area, download FemtoBasic to RAM and use it to copy the boot EEPROM area to the 2nd 32K area of the EEPROM.
    2) Download the saved file to the boot EEPROM, but don't run it
    3) Download FemtoBasic again to RAM and use it to compare the two 32K areas of EEPROM and display any differences.

Another alternative would be to use FemtoBasic to copy the boot EEPROM to a file on an attached SD card, the write a PC program that could compare the saved file on the SD card to the original saved file.

The major question is "What did you do to the boot EEPROM?" If you're saying that you have a new compiled version of your program that works, but you don't have a source copy anymore with the changes, then you are not likely to be able to figure out the changes since the working program is in compiled byte code form and there's no information there about the variable names or the method or even object names. I won't say it's impossible to figure out, but it's very very impractical.
  • gwk_auburngwk_auburn Posts: 6
    edited 2007-07-11 04:40
    Thanks Mike; Not good news, I wish I had edit history. Didn't think I changed anything, but when I downloaded into a second proto board my program quit working. Went back to first board and still running !