Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MOSFET datasheet question — Parallax Forums

MOSFET datasheet question

D FaustD Faust Posts: 608
edited 2007-07-11 13:56 in General Discussion
Where on a data sheet can I find the fully on voltage of a MOSFET?(or what is it labeled as?)· It isn't V(GS) is it? Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
D Faust

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-07-10 16:52
    Many datasheets list values of RDS(on) for various values of VGS. This will give you an idea of what constitutes "fully on" for your application. In some cases you may have to look at a graph of RDS(on) versus VGS to come to a conclusion.

In either case, you then have to make sure that your anticipated IDS2 RDS(on) doesn't exceed the power dissipation limits of the device, along with any heatsinking you may have added.

-Phil
  • D FaustD Faust Posts: 608
    edited 2007-07-10 17:45
    Thank you, I understand what you are saying, but I have yet to find such a table or graphshakehead.gif.·· I am looking at this datasheet: (http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/fairchild/IRF510.pdf)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    D Faust
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2007-07-10 18:05
    D Faust,

On the first page under "Features", Rds(on) is shown as 0.54 ohms.

Then refer to Figure 5 and 6, which shows the performance at various gate-to-source voltages.

This is a good general purpose FET because it operates at low gate voltages.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
    edited 2007-07-10 19:44
    O.K., I am not so sure about this, so it would be greatly appreciated if someone could correct me. If V(GS) is 5V and V(DS) is 6V, then the transistor allows one amp through.(based on figure 6) Also if V(GS) is 4V then there is no amperage at the drain.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    D Faust
    edited 2007-07-10 21:08
    Yes and no. You need to consider the test conditions given in these figures, namely that they're for a pulse duration of 80uS at a duty cycle of 0.5% or less. With this transistor, the continuous drain current should probably be limited to much less than 1 amp at VGS = 5V. This is not a "logic" MOSFET, and the RDS(on) of 0.54 ohms is spec'd at VGS = 10V. It will likely be much higher than than at VGS = 5V. A much better choice for driving from a micro would be the IRLZ34N.

You probably got one of the IRF510s at Radio Shack ... right? It's too bad they even offer it instead of a logic MOSFET. I'm sure there are many people who expect these things to sink a lot of current with a logic-level drive and end up being disappointed.

-Phil

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 7/10/2007 9:14:38 PM GMT
    edited 2007-07-11 00:47
    Actually Phil, I was looking on Radioshack's website to see what MOSFETs I could get from them.· I heard that other people hand problems with non-logic-level MOSFETs so I wanted to·check the datasheet.· It seems that most logic level MOSFETs have an "L" somewhere·in their part number· Thanks for pointing out·the pulse·comment.· I saw it, but wasn't sure if it meant anything.· Thank you both,·I think·I got it now.idea.gif

EDIT
    [noparse][[/noparse]P.S. Thank you for the link, where is a good place to buy components such as·MOSFETs anyway]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    D Faust

Post Edited (D Faust) : 7/11/2007 1:11:16 AM GMT
    edited 2007-07-11 01:33
    DigiKey and Mouser both have ample selections of MOSFETs. If your order total is under $25, Mouser is the better source, since they don't charge a $5 service fee for small orders. [Edit: Digikey no longer charges a service fee for small orders.]

-Phil

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 7/11/2007 1:40:20 AM GMT
    edited 2007-07-11 11:52
    I had heard of Mouser, but not Digikey. I'll have to check them both before I order. Thanks for the info!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    D Faust
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2007-07-11 13:56
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...
    DigiKey and Mouser both have ample selections of MOSFETs. If your order total is under $25, Mouser is the better source, since they don't charge a $5 service fee for small orders.

-Phil
    Thanks for the small order info Phil!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney