Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Infrared Detection — Parallax Forums

Infrared Detection

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2007-07-10 00:02 in Propeller 1
Perhaps someone who has the PE kit can answer this.

I've got an infrared remote I'd like to experiment with as well as a 5V Infrared detector (from rat shack)
Can someone provide some advice on connection to the prop?

I thought I could use it as a switch, but... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Also, I'm using Femto to read the input line (INA ) -- Works on the switch, but not the IR.

Can someone help, I'd love to learn what I'm missing.

Thanks
Oldbit

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!

Comments

• DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2007-07-10 00:02
    Hi Oldbit,

I suspect your IR detector from Radio Shack (I'm presuming it is a module of some sort) probably outputs a unique sequence of bits (a code if you will) for each key pressed on the remote. I'm not familiar with FemtoBasic, but it may be this string of bits rapidly coming in that's not quite working with your application of FemtoBasic's INA instruction.

Have a look at the Propeller Education Kit page on the Parallax Web site (URL below). The PE Kit contains an IR detector (Parallax P/N 350-00014). There are PE Kit application notes (labs) on the PE Kit Web page for download - I haven't checked, but I'll bet one of the PE Kit labs handles the IR detector module that comes with the kit in native Spin language.

Parallax sells the IR detector included in the PE Kit as a stand-alone part (Parallax P/N 350-00014). There's a zipped Application Note on how to use the IR detector on the Parallax Web page for the part (see URL below). I haven't checked, but the examples in the application notes for the IR detector are probably for the Basic Stamp, but the code is often fairly easy to translate to Propeller's Spin language.

As for whether you're physically connecting your IR detector correctly; we really can't say without knowing the details about your part. If you suspect an electrical issue, compare your IR detector's specification with the Parallax IR detector. You may also attach your IR detector's data sheet to your next post on this topic.

The Propeller Education Kit page is here:

www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=32305

The IR Remote part page is here:

www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=350-00014

Good Luck,

David