Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallel LCD Trouble. — Parallax Forums

Parallel LCD Trouble.

Aaron193Aaron193 Posts: 27
edited 2007-07-09 01:28 in Propeller 1
Hi

I have some trouble getting a parallel LCD display to work. I have tried going to the object exchange and downloading objects for operating Parallel LCD displays. This particular display that·I have·has an HD44780 driver. I have been able to get it to work with a Basic Stamp II. I have also noticed that these objects don't include proper initialization commands; I have a link·that contains important information about initializing the LCD. I have noticed with the Basic Stamp that if it wasn't intitialized properly, it wouldn't function. If someone can help me make an object that follows the initialization processes mentioned in the link, that would be great

Aaron

Comments

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-07-07 23:10
    The flow diagram is right out of the datasheet for the 44780. What the flowchart doesn't show is the enable line which also has timing considerations.

The simplest thing that you can try is to do a straight spin of sequence delays followed by setting the outputs to the bit values that you need. Then toggle the E line keeping in mind its timing requirements.
  • Aaron193Aaron193 Posts: 27
    edited 2007-07-08 16:59
    so you mean that those initialization commands aren't really necessary?
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-07-09 01:28
    Well, the 44780 chip does start up with the display, cursor, and blink set to OFF, and the i/o width to 8 bits, etc. So your program will need to do something to get the display going.