Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help debugging NTSC video driver — Parallax Forums

Need help debugging NTSC video driver

ericballericball Posts: 774
edited 2007-07-09 14:09 in Propeller 1
I'm hoping a another set of eyes will find the bug(s) in my code.

This is a brand new video driver which is radically different than anything based on TV.spin.
  1. Sprite based - not tiles.· The driver works from a HUB-RAM sprite table (address of 8x8 byte/pixel graphics, xpos, ypos).
  2. Graphics are copied to a COG-RAM based 240 pixel LineRAM, then the LineRAM is output using the Propeller video generator.
  3. 2-5 cogs with interleaved execution (while cog[noparse][[/noparse]0] is generating output, cog[noparse][[/noparse]1]..cog[noparse][[/noparse]n] are populating LineRAM)
  4. Artifact based color for (theoretically) a much larger color gamut than the native video generator.
So, is anyone out there willing to take up the challenge?

Post Edited (ericball) : 7/7/2007 1:53:32 AM GMT

Comments

• RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-07-06 21:17
    I'll be following this thread, looks interesting

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! The average PC while browsing the internet typically uses less than 30% of it's potential, why not donate a portion of the rest for cancer resaerch?
  • ericballericball Posts: 774
    edited 2007-07-07 01:51
    Some observations by potatohead have caught one big bug - I'm not waiting for the PLL to settle so the first WAITVID delay is going to be incorrect.· I'm considering a couple of options:
    1. Put a second WAITCNT after the CTRA/FRQA to let the PLL settle
    2. Move the CTRA/FRQA before the first WAITCNT
    3. #2 but add a MOV PHSA, #0 after the WAITCNT
    The question is which option will yeild the smallest phase difference between cogs.
    The code for #1 is easy:
    :cont WAITCNT count2, l910     ' sync to other cogs
          MOV     CTRA, ictra      ' initialize registers
          MOV     FRQA, N2_PLLAFRQ ' start the counters!
          WAITCNT count2, #0       ' wait for PLL to settle

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-07-07 04:04
    When working with the high-color driver, Jasper_M pointed out the left overscan must be an even multiple of the pixel clock, or the phase stuff ends up happening. I've tried a second WAITCNT, and had no luck. Don't know about the other options. IMHO, the MOV PHSA has potential. For what I was trying to do, it ended up being a lot easier to just match up the overscans. In this context, it might be a solid option. Perhaps set it at a known place every scan line?
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-07-09 14:09
    For those looking this over, the best display so far is NUMCOGS = 3. On newer TVs it will sync well enough to display objects.

This change will cause the COGS to sync up right away:

count2 := 10000 + 1000 * N2_NUMCOGS ' synchronization CNT