Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Proto board and host connection — Parallax Forums

Proto board and host connection

bufflerbuffler Posts: 22
edited 2007-07-06 20:29 in Propeller 1
Can I use a usb to serial port adapter with the propeller proto board instead of the one Parallax lists? I realize there may be a voltage translation problem, solveable maybe with interface chip.
Thanks

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-07-06 05:08
    It depends on the adapter. I assume you're referring to a USB to RS232 serial adapter. Download the datasheet for the PropStick which has an RS232 serial programming port and copy the interface to the serial port. You should be able to use any USB to RS232 adapter that will work with a Stamp since some of the same timing and control signal issues apply to programming the Stamps. The Keyspan High Speed Adapter should work and Parallax sells one based on the FTDI chip for use with the Stamps.
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-07-06 09:03
    Hi Buffler,

Yup, I use a generic USB to serial port adapter all the time. I've not had any problems with it, but YMMV...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-07-06 16:42
    The key with whether it will work is that the DTR line must function properly, some cheaper USB to Serial converters do not have a functioning DTR line and will not work on our chips.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • bufflerbuffler Posts: 22
    edited 2007-07-06 20:29
    Thanks, all! I gave in and ordered the Parallax interface. I have enough problems with a new chip, don't need ambiguity of problems...