Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Interfacing ADC (MAX 1203) — Parallax Forums

Interfacing ADC (MAX 1203)

ry.davidry.david Posts: 63
edited 2007-07-06 17:05 in Propeller 1
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on using an MAX1203.· I been staring at datasheets for a couple of hours now, and still have no idea how to wire this thing up to the propeller.· Also, is there any Spin examples on using it?· About how many samples per second could I expect to get from all 8 channels?

MAX1203 Datasheet

Thanks for your time,
Ryan

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-07-06 04:25
    I don't think there are any examples specifically for the MAX1203, but there are several other ADCs with sample programs/objects in the Propeller Object Exchange (look here: ww1.parallax.com/Default.aspx?tabid=65). These are SPI serial ADCs like the MAX1203, but there are differences. You'll need to compare the descriptions in the datasheets.

Some of the ADCs allow you to connect the DIN and DOUT pins together. I don't think the MAX1203 can do that, so you'll need 4 Propeller I/O pins, one for SCLK, one for DIN, one for DOUT, and one for CS.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,549
    edited 2007-07-06 14:40
    Ryan,

There is an object in the object exchange library written by James Long·for a MAX1202.... According to the data sheet the two chips are identical with the exception that the MAX1202 features an internal 4.096V reference voltage while the MAX1203 requires an external voltage reference. So, James Long's code should work just fine for your chip.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 7/6/2007 2:45:28 PM GMT
  • ry.davidry.david Posts: 63
    edited 2007-07-06 17:05
    Awesome, thank you both.· It appears to be pretty straight forward now that I see it.· blush.gif· I am waiting for the delivery of my IMU from sparkfun, and my ADC from Maxim.

Thanks again,
    Ryan