Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Music and SFX wanted. — Parallax Forums

Music and SFX wanted.

BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
edited 2007-07-06 07:57 in Propeller 1
Is·there anyone out there who would be interested in making some music and sfx for my jetpac clone? using either HSS or HDMF,
epmoyer if you are interested in doing some more game music+sfx? that would be great [noparse]:)[/noparse]
anyone else who wants a crack, let me know.

Baggers.

Comments

• epmoyerepmoyer Posts: 314
    edited 2007-07-05 14:27
    I've got a big project in the works right now which is sucking all my play-time. I wouldn't have the time to re-compose a pile of music, but the existing hdmf tools make it very easy to get music into a game. If you can reserve 2 music cogs (one for the sound driver and one for the hdmf player) then (once you have a suitable MIDI file in your hands) you can easily add short-ish music (like in Donkey Kong) to a game with about 10 minutes of work. If you can throw in a third cog for the EEPROM driver then you can store up to 20-ish minutes of complex music in upper EEPROM using H.A.M.

While I can't spare the time to do a bunch of composing I'll certainly be around to answer HDMF questions and help you get it integrated if that's the path you go down.

Also, its probably trivial to glue HDMF to HSS if you prefer the sound of the HSS engine to the sound of Nick's driver. I just haven't bothered to do it yet.

I have an unreleased version of HDMF which allows pass-through access to the sound driver for creating sound effects. I used it in the current release of SpaceWar!. If you decide to go down the HDMF path I'll release the latest driver, which will make it easy for you to make calls for sfx processing, and I'll release the SpaceWar source so you have example code to play with (just haven't gotten around to releasing it yet).
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-07-05 16:52
    There is so much free music and sound effects that you get on CDs, I would just do that, easy and instant solution. To make games I purchased a $2500 licensed sound effects library in the late 90's, but frankly, I have 3-4 CDs with music and sound effects royalty free I bought at fry;s that I use just as much, paid $10 for them [noparse]:)[/noparse]

The HYDRA CD has royalty free sound effects on that I put there for example.

Andre'
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-07-05 19:49
    epmoyer : Cheers, I'll probably go down the HDMF route, as HSS has gone quiet lately, must be busy, was waiting for the new player that plays .sid files. oh well.
    so if you want to release the latest driver that would be cool, you can PM or email it to me if you don't want it releasing just yet, as it'll be a little while for me to get to grips with making the sfx etc. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Andre' : I could use wavs, and make up some wavs, but they take too much memory, and I wanted to do this game in <32KB for that single downloadability of it. ( is that a word? it is now [noparse]:)[/noparse] )

Baggers.
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-07-05 23:29
    Well, wavs will work if you stream from an eeprom, but a MIDI or other similar music format is much better obviously like the other players are using. Many music CDs have both the midi and the wav version when you buy effects. Try rad game tools if you're serious, for personal use you might even be able to get a sample CD with a few hundred genre related audio tracks in both midi and wav formats.

Andre'
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-07-06 07:57
    Yeah, I know I could stream wavs, etc, but I want to keep it to <32KB so it's compatible with Demo Boards too. As that only has 32KB.
    Thanks for the tips though, as others may benefit from the tips too [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Baggers.