Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spice model or Eletronic Workbench model — Parallax Forums

Spice model or Eletronic Workbench model

Steven InfanteSteven Infante Posts: 6
edited 2007-07-09 17:09 in Propeller 1
Hello,

We just switched over to mutisim from national instruments and I was looking for a spice p/spice or eds or sim model for the propeller chip without having to make one. Does anyone have one? Thanks in advance.

Steve

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2007-07-05 14:23
    SPICE is an analogue simulator.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • Steven InfanteSteven Infante Posts: 6
    edited 2007-07-05 14:41
    The MultiSim Software from National Instruments allows for import of various models including spice into the database. MultiSim handles analog and digital. It can also handle PIC controllers including simulation of the assembly code and linking to external programming software such as the Propeller Tool. I am looking for a model that I can import without having to generate the component myself.

Steve
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-07-05 14:42
    As of now, i haven't heard of anyone making a VHDL model, but your right it would be nice as i have EWB too. I have made a layout model with all the pins and mapping for a QFP layout if it'd help i could e-mail it to you, Personal Message me if your interested.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"

Post Edited (RinksCustoms) : 7/6/2007 12:17:05 AM GMT
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2007-07-05 23:02
    Hi Steven,

You might want to keep an eye on Proteus VSM by Lab Center Electronics: www.labcenter.co.uk.

The Proteus development system supports Basic Stamps (and lots of other microcontrollers) in simulation. I have not asked them about pending support for Propeller, but I'll bet it's somewhere on the horizon.

Lab Center has a working trial version of their product for free download, but if memory serves the trial version simulates a popular but relatively low-end PIC processor by default, plus some other limitations. I haven't tried Proteus myself - but I'll probably give it a go if and when they add Propeller.

Regards,

David
    edited 2007-07-06 07:13
    We are a research firm and I use the propeller chip in a bunch of custom equipment we built. everything from custom data loggers to monitoring and controlling precision HV supply's. The multiple cogs add tremendous flexibility in our research.It would be nice if parallax followed other manufactures and supplied models.

we switched over to multisim since we are using more of NI software and equipment. have you used multisim? I find it extremely easy and very functional to do a quickie and fast protoype.

Steve
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-07-06 08:31
    David's right; I've used the version of Proteus VSM taht's bundled with the Proton Development Suite for PICs. As it handles multiple PICs, I can see no reason why it wouldn't be able to handle a Prop!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
    edited 2007-07-06 14:58
    Well I will just have to check it out and kick the tires. Now where did I put my computer.......

Steve
    edited 2007-07-09 05:55
    Multisim is just awesome, very powerful. I've been using it for years as low level hobby stuff, does a great job on simulation, the bode plotter and scope are really nice. I've had multisim since '00 and it never gave me a problem, bout time for an upgrade i think.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! The average PC while browsing the internet typically uses less than 30% of it's potential, why not donate a portion of the rest for cancer resaerch?
    edited 2007-07-09 13:14
    MultiSim is well worth the price. Since we capture, on some equipment, anywheres from 10 - 2000 data points per millisecond it definitely helps simulating the custom capture board before building it. Saves allot of time and the propeller works very well for post capture data massage and transmission to PC.

Steve
    edited 2007-07-09 15:53
    I include the schematic model in the attachment which is pin-mapped correctly to the footprint, just no model - i don't know how to do this. It would speed up your dev time alittle at least. I have 2004 purchased, no utiliboard, and it's not installed, using a copy of multisim 9 demo i had floating around to make the prop schematic/footprint model. The forum won't allow mime types as i tried to attach myuser database i exported. Will have to e-mail it to you if your interested.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! The average PC while browsing the internet typically uses less than 30% of it's potential, why not donate a portion of the rest for cancer resaerch?
    edited 2007-07-09 17:09
    I had dropped you an email. Maybe it had got lost in the sea of internet information. I would appreciate that model so far as you have it. Thanks in advance. Steve