Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PING schematic — Parallax Forums

PING schematic

quispqixquispqix Posts: 64
edited 2007-07-06 15:02 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Dose anyone have a PING schematic?
I have ultrasonic sensors and I look at the PDF's for the PING and It looks like their are chips behind the PING module.
Is their a compatible circuit I can build?
Plus I posted in the wrong thread, I wanted BASIC Stamps

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Milk, It does a body good!
skype me: quispqix
echolink: 184783 KC0LGV

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2007-07-04 17:39
    It's VERY unlikely you can build a compatible unit that would be price competitive with Parallax. I'm a very 'cheap' person myself, always looking for a less expensive way to accomplish things.

This has made things take WAY longer than they would any other way, and often resulted in my purchasing the off-the-shelf item in the end anyway. Parallax tends to sell things with some profit margin on them, true, and I don't begrudge them that. But it's not a HUGE profit margin.

Having said that, you should be aware that there do exist other ultra-sonic range-finders. The nice thing about the 'Ping' is that it has a small on-board co-processor, which provides to the BS2 a pulse indicating how long the 'echo' was. And the timing of all this is set up for the relatively slow BS2.
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2007-07-05 14:59
    Questions about ping,

1. Is PING))) using electrostatic transducers or piezo transducers?
    2. Why does PING))) need 2 transducers?
    3. Where can I buy some CMUTs?

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.fd.com.my
    www.mercedes.com.my
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-07-05 17:40
    Hello,

Even if you had the schematic for the PING))) you wouldn’t be able to build it since the SX chip on board has firmware installed and the chip is not available except installed on the PING))) Module. There are two transducers because one is the transmitter and one is the receiver. It may be that in this design it was easier than trying to switch both circuits. It kind of compares with our RF Transmitter/Receiver. We could have a Transceiver but then we’d have to add a switching circuit. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2007-07-06 01:37
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    It kind of compares with our RF Transmitter/Receiver. We could have a Transceiver but then we’d have to add a switching circuit.
    But you do have a transceiver. Did you miss the announcement last week? smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

links:
    My band's website
    Our album on the iTunes Music Store
  • quispqixquispqix Posts: 64
    edited 2007-07-06 13:16
    Issue 148 November 2002
    Ultrasonic Homing Device

LIST P=12C672

This article in 'Circuit Cellar' by Tom Baraniak Nov 11, 2000 (or 3-12-2001)
    uses a PIC 12C672-04 running at 4 MHz internal clock, All on PDF with the
    code for the pic chip included. He goes into the physics of ultrasonics,
    pings vs right ear and left ear, shows two transmitter circuits for timing explanation,
    and discusses the ping ear placement. The article is heavily mathed to explain the
    ping and hearing to distance timing.

www.circuitcellar.com/library/print/1102/baraniak148/index.htm

www.circuitcellar.com/library/print/1102/baraniak148/7.htm

www.circuitcellar.com/library/print/1102/baraniak148/2211014.pdf

Wanna get something done fast, Tell me I can't do it!

Of note I don't know of anyone else found these interesting sites:
    www.seattlerobotics.org/
    www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/index.php

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Keeping the price of milk competitive with gasoline!
    skype me: quispqix
    echolink: 184783 KC0LGV

Post Edited (quispqix) : 7/6/2007 1:32:11 PM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2007-07-06 14:06
    A 'Ping' sensor costs $30. With mounting kit and 'aiming' servo, $38 (on sale right now).

You really are NOT going to get anything "done faster", or "done cheaper". The 'Ping' implements everything that you called out, it's on the shelf today, for less than $40.

But you must do what you think right, of course.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-07-06 14:21
    quispqix,
    The Circuit Cellar article describes a different device from the PING. The PING has a single receiver and responds to the first echo it receives. The Circuit Cellar device uses two (physically separated) receivers and provides the time difference between the two received signals. If you want something that does what the Circuit Cellar device does, use their design. If you want what the PING does, use that. A Stamp will not be able to do the timing for the Circuit Cellar device. You could use their PIC design and their code or you could modify the design to use an SX or a Propeller which are both capable of doing the timing. Their design is already done, tested, and documented. It's a more complicated than the PING and you'll have to build it from scratch based on their documentation.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-07-06 15:02
    SSteve said...
    But you do have a transceiver. Did you miss the announcement last week? smile.gif
    Steve,

·· That is a different product altogether.· We still see the 433 MHz units as 1 Transmitter and 1 Receiver per side.· You'll notice there is a cost difference between the new trasceiver module and the ones we had before.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support