Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Any Ryme or reason for different EEPROM's? — Parallax Forums

Any Ryme or reason for different EEPROM's?

RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
edited 2007-07-04 03:24 in Propeller 1
I'm designing yet another variant board, but in looking at all available schematic files of all the boards parallax offers, i noticed different EEPROMs for the different Boards. Any reason why the demoboard, propRPM·and propstick use a 24LC256-I/ST (32K) EEPROM, while the Protoboard uses a AT24C512 (512K)?

Does the prop chip on the protoboard have access to all 512K, or were these EE's just surplus or something?

Just curious..

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
"I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-07-03 21:03
    The protoboard has a 64K EEPROM, and it was included because it was specifically requested by customers when we were designing the board, they wanted extra storage space beyond what was loaded into memory at startup.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-07-03 22:57
    Yeah, on the protoboard we (I) wanted 64K so we had a place for quick and easy nonvolatile storage for simple projects.

On the demo board, it's probably less critical, since the demo board is most useful hooked up to a computer. But the
    protoboard is meant for embedding in real, cheap, one-off projects, so building in extra nonvolatile is great.

I recommend anyone selling "project" or "proto" boards to do this (unless of course you build in an SD socket, in which
    case you have tons more nonvolatile storage in that).
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-07-04 03:24
    Ahh, right!, i keep forgeting byte is 8 bits - not 4bits. But that's still slick putting on more EE like that. You guys are great for support, i hope i can return the favor to someone else someday.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"