Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Another new prop board - The Hybrid - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Another new prop board - The Hybrid

Comments

• JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-09-20 13:19
    Just out of curiosity, what is the reason for using a 6mhz crystal instead of 5 or 10?
  • RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2007-09-20 13:57
    Coley, can you tell me the part number for the SD socket used on the Hydrid
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2007-09-20 14:10
    JT Cook said...
    Just out of curiosity, what is the reason for using a 6mhz crystal instead of 5 or 10?

20% Speed increase and it brings some synergy with another project I am working on.

Roadster said...
    Coley, can you tell me the part number for the SD socket used on the Hydrid

Multicomp SDBMF-00915B000

Regards,

Coley
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-09-20 17:31
    JT Cook said...
    6mhz is an optimal choice of commonly availible crystals as it affords an operation of 96MHz whereas 5 and 10 mean an 80MHz operation, we use a 6.5MHz crystal to test (at room temperature) each and every Propeller before we ship them. My tests thus far indicate that with a supply voltage of 3V and 6MHz at 125 C (worst case) the Propeller will still operate. We state 80MHz as the speed because we provide a margin for error to ensure the Propeller will work in situations we dont specifically test every Propeller for.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Randy GlennRandy Glenn Posts: 25
    edited 2007-09-20 17:43
    Coley, will you be making a schematic available? I'm working on my own Prop board too, and am looking for some ideas / trying to maintain compatibility with some other designs.

Thanks!
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-09-20 20:25
    Jeff,
    Is the 6mhz or 6.5mhz better than the 5mhz for generating video?
    Fred
    edited 2007-09-20 21:33
    Depends on what you are trying to do precisely, and I may need to back off on my prior statement. I am presently doing a more rigorous testing of the "highest speed possible" and at 3V and 125C I'm not sure if it can to 6MHz. I haven't gotten to the test point yet but the current data points are trending so that it looks like it will just miss the mark.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • KeithEKeithE Posts: 957
    edited 2007-09-21 03:33
    > I am presently doing a more rigorous testing of the "highest speed possible" and at 3V and 125C I'm not sure if it can to 6MHz.

Does your flow support static timing analysis? If not are you testing with skewed parts? (Intentionally skewed process a.k.a. rainbow lots.) I'm just curious and always interested in hearing about how others do these things. I've always worked in an ASIC flow, and the only reason that we do functional testing (I'm assuming that this is functional testing - maybe a bad assumption on my part) is to make sure that we didn't have any errors in our PrimeTime scripts and that the people who developed the libraries did their job. And to cover interfaces that scan wouldn't cover. Although things are getting interesting at 65 nm and below.
    edited 2007-09-21 16:22
    No we are not using rainbow lots, it's too expensive for the few tests we would perform. The 80MHz speed was determined by simulated process skewing, however our tests of each wafer produced by the foundry show thier process is in quite a narrow band far from the stated process boundries. So I am performing the test for the edification of our customers (and Chip), not as any guarantee that a particular chip they purchase will perform to that point, but to provide a sense of scale of how much more performance they can reasonably get out of it given thier operating conditions.

Every single polygon on the Propeller is custom, we used no libraries in the creation of the chip. Each subsystem of the chip was fabricated and fully tested before assembling it into the final chip.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 9/21/2007 4:33:29 PM GMT
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2007-09-22 21:21
    The Hybrid looks wonderful [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    The only thing is... If it had a little extra sram on-borad. It would be the BEST propeller development board ever!

I'd develop on it in a heart beat. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Either way... sram or not, I still wanna' port to it.

--Andrew Arsenault.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-09-22 21:50
    Ym2413a
    You can add the hybrid's HX512, as the expansion port is pin compatible with the hydra's, so yes you can have 512KB sram to play with if you want.
    And there's a little extra goodie we're developing, but can't take raps off that just yet! [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-09-22 23:27
    I know, But I still wish it was stock on-board though. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Not everyone might have a SRAM card.
    edited 2007-09-23 10:35
    Ym2413a said...
    I know, But I still wish it was stock on-board though. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Not everyone might have a SRAM card.

I know what you mean, I feel the same way but it was a trade off between some form of compatibility and initial cost!

It's still a great board, but I would say that wouldn't I! lol

Regards,

Coley
  • Clint V FranklinClint V Franklin Posts: 4
    edited 2007-09-23 12:13
    Hey Coley, just wanted to say - what an excellent-looking piece of machinery you have developed!

This is what I had envisioned for a game console idea I was planning on, a Prop-based system that could load games from SD cards. You've definitely done an excellent job on your system! I'm envious! smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    They say all great artists are insane. I'm not saying I'm a great artist, but I'm certain I have what it takes.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-09-23 12:54
    I'm curious, Since this is a "hybrid"

Why did you use a switchable crystal system? Say a 5,6, & 10 with a selector?

Not possible? Or felt unnecessary?

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Calvin and Hobbes.
    edited 2007-09-23 17:08
    Oldbitcollector said...
    Why did you use a switchable crystal system? Say a 5,6, & 10 with a selector?

Not possible? Or felt unnecessary?

Well the truth is we were going to use a 5MHz crystal and leave it compatible with most of the demo board code but we have since switched it to 6MHz to fall in line with an accessory we are developing for it.

You raise a good point though that others may well wish to have other crystal configurations, so for the next revision PCB I will include those crystal pin holders that are on the Demo board and proto-boards, allowing Hybrid owners to use whatever crystal they want.

Regards,

Coley
    edited 2007-09-25 00:35
    I like the fact that this thing has mass storage out of the box. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    SD cards allow for a lot of low speed memory that wasn't there before.

I already have a few ideas on how to use that. [noparse]:)[/noparse] [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I'll take that back, I have a few BIG ideas on how to use that!

--Andrew Arsenault.
    edited 2007-10-08 16:36
    Added schematic and B.O.M. to top of post

Coley
  • computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
    edited 2007-10-11 00:21
    Hey Coley I sent you a PM regarding the Hybrid.

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out my robot using the propeller RECONAUTOR
    edited 2007-10-11 20:54
    Yeah, I'm going to have to get my hands on one of these very soon! [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-10-20 13:20
    Coley, I sent you an email as I am ready to purchase.

Thank You smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-10-21 15:58
    Thanks Computer Guy, I hope you get as much enjoyment from it as we do!

Regards,

Coley

** Updated first post with link to new site for purchases **
    edited 2007-11-02 11:53
    The Excitement!

I'm getting my Hybrid in the mail any day now!
    This is by far the most powerful and promising Propeller based board out! [noparse];)[/noparse]

With the PropGFX. There is no question as to what this thing will do. ;0
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-11-06 16:19
    Hello All - Details and pdf for the Hybrid have been added here

www.igniteautomation.com/hybrid.html

... I am currently trying to assemble a comprehensive list and details of all the third party Propeller hardware so they can be viewed in one place adding exposure to all and easy selection of a suitable product also ...

Regards,
    John Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2007-11-06 16:25
    Hi Quattro.

You have bug in you link!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.

Sapieha
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-11-06 16:35
    Sapieha,
    You must have been in very quickly - I edited that almost immediately ..

'almost' - he said.! - Reminds me of " Nearly never won a race but Barely always did" ' LoL

Quattro

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 7/11/2008 10:41:57 PM GMT
    edited 2007-11-07 11:45
    I just got my Hybrid board in today. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    The thing is so small!
    Very well built to say the least and it just looks good.

Tomorrow after work I'll give the thing a boot and see what this little monster can do. [noparse];)[/noparse]
    Thanks Coley and Baggers!

--Andrew Arsenault.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-11-07 14:59
    Cool, Andrew, glad you like it [noparse]:)[/noparse] PS, there's an updated SDBoot.binary on propgfx forums for programming the EEPROM with. ( swaps PAL/NTSC F9=PAL F10=NTSC or if you don't have keyboard attached, hold left on powerup = PAL right on powerup = NTSC ) it saves 0 NTSC, 1 PAL to $7fff so if peoples programs will use that byte to start their games/apps with, it'll be great.

Baggers
    edited 2007-11-08 18:36
    Okay neat. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    If there are anymore standardization then let me know. I'll try to include them in my works.

Thanks!

--Andrew Arsenault.
    edited 2007-11-14 06:20
    I just got a PS/2 keyboard and can finally use my Hybrid.
    It is a great board and I would highly recommend it.

Only one problem, How do I write games for it?
    Is there any articles I can read to help me?
    I don't want to have to get the Hydra book. smile.gif

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔