Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GRAPHICS and TV documentation.. — Parallax Forums

GRAPHICS and TV documentation..

RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
edited 2007-07-03 21:05 in Propeller 1
Does anybody know of pdf documentation on the TV and GRAPHICS drivers other than the HYDRA mention of them in the sample chapters on the HYDRA page?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
"I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-07-02 23:23
    No, anything specific you are looking to figure out?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-07-03 00:16
    For most of the contributed programs, the source code contains the documentation. Part of the reason for many of the characters in the Propeller font is to make it possible for programs to contain their own documentation as comments. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but it's unusual for most programs to have separate documentation.
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-07-03 20:44
    Paul,
    More specifically on how the graphics and tv driver interact with one another (or how they're supposed to), and what should be in a Terminal-like program, ie; the basic setup (with respect to the VAR/DAT blocks) using the TV And GRAPHICS objects.

If the HYDRA manual explains this i wouldn't mind purchasing the book ($50+ after UPS ground), as the teaser PDF's look promising regaurding in-depth detail of how the tv driver and graphic objects work. Tried to use these objects on my own and nothing happened, not even the graphics demo hack/slashed/axed how i thought i could get the demo to work with a DAC starting on P4 (proto board)

Mike,
    I know, and the tv driver is well documented indeed, just a bit fuzzy on figuring out how to get the tv driver to work with the graphics object with the DAC on P4 confused.gif· My confusion lies with the settings in the tvparams block, i understand most of it (even more after reading the hydra teasers, but the pins setting i just don't get, how does TV 1.1 take any start pin, and set the pin group whne it looks like the pin group is one or the other? The rest i could probably figure out on my own eventuallyroll.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"

Post Edited (RinksCustoms) : 7/3/2007 8:54:16 PM GMT
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-07-03 21:05
    There is a parameter called tv_pins that specifies the group of 4 pins to be used for the TV output. This is split into two items ... the group of 8 bins to be used ... whether the first or second set of 4 pins in a group of 8 is to be used.

Complicating this is the piece that this parameter table is passed to TV.spin when it's started so that the actual values for the parameter table are usually provided in the main program that calls the graphics and tv drivers. The graphics driver is separate from the tv driver and works somewhat independently. The tv driver is given a bitmap to display on the screen (the vga driver works the same way there). The graphics driver is given the same bitmap to fill with graphics information. There's really no communication between the two (other than a flag that the tv and vga drivers set to indicate that vertical retrace is occurring and the bitmap can be changed without the process of change showing on the screen.