Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Tool with multiple Prop chips and a single development host... — Parallax Forums

Propeller Tool with multiple Prop chips and a single development host...

ght_dakght_dak Posts: 15
edited 2007-07-03 00:10 in Propeller 1
I have 2 prop chips I'm working on simultaneously.· My strategy has been to only have one connected at a time when debugging...

But this is becomming increasingly problematic as I'm using the port for other serial operations and, well, the Propeller Tool isn't talking with the right chip...

Is there a way to get the Propeller Tool to point at a particular chip when multiple chips are nailed to a single development host?

Even better would be a strategy to have multiple instances of the Propeller Tool up each talking to a specific chip... but I'm willing to go one step at a time.

-glenn
·

Comments

• simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-07-02 15:13
    How about putting some links/jumpers/swicthes on P30/P31?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • ght_dakght_dak Posts: 15
    edited 2007-07-02 16:28
    Simon,

can't just cut the comms with the computer because I'm using the serial port with an app on the host.

I can make it work with the proper sequencing... but its becomming painful pulling wires, plugs etc.

Seems like it would be easier if I could set the port on the Propeller Tool... Keep the lookup capability but be able to override.

-glenn
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-07-02 17:57
    Hardly an expert(just tried PropTerminal today[noparse]:)[/noparse] ...and I don't have the hardware hooked up... but you can

1) start two instances of PropTerminal(in two different folders)... whether this will
    2)allow you to load two different binaries to two different Props on two different com ports...?

Rich
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-07-02 18:28
    Just use one laptop per prop. No problem.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-07-02 18:29
    Is the program for each identical or different?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • RichardFRichardF Posts: 168
    edited 2007-07-02 20:35
    rokicki,
    I like the way you think!
    Richard

See my new post concerning parallel comms between chips.
  • ght_dakght_dak Posts: 15
    edited 2007-07-02 20:49
    The two prop chips are going to be running different programs... Ideally, I'd have 2 Prop Tool windows open (I have lots of screen real-estate smile.gif but thats not really that critical.

The really tricky bit is I'd like to keep the comms open for dumping data to my custom application on the host. The Prop Tool does a scan for propellers and finds the one it finds... no way to control which COM#.

Fortunately, I did find a way around this for now. Basically, I make sure my custom host application is talking with the chip I'm not programming, then the Prop Tool can't get to that COM port and finds the other... So, I'm good for now...

but, it seems like there would be a strategy to fix the COM# on the Propeller Tool.

-glenn
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-07-02 23:16
    There is an undocumented means for maintaining connection with both if they each have thier own dedicated com port. In the Tool hit F5, Files & Folders tab, uncheck "Associated files launch into single editor". Open two copies of the Tool each with the file for each target Propeller, then disconnect one com cable, use the Tool for the still connected one and press F7. Disconnect the other cable, connect back the first disconnected, and hit F7 in the other Tool to discover the other Propeller. Now reconnect the disconnected cable. Each Tool will continue to adress the Propeller it discovered so long as there isnt an error when it goes to program it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-07-03 00:10
    Slick, slick, slick! Cat skinned another way! (something for Graham's list)