Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller and Atmel STK500 Eval Board — Parallax Forums

Propeller and Atmel STK500 Eval Board

Franz AchatzFranz Achatz Posts: 140
edited 2007-07-01 08:57 in Propeller 1
Hello Propeller freaks,

i am the guy who made the A-ONE Apple 1 Replica Computer, last year.
The Video Controller was a hard part and its done using a ATMEGA32,
being able to generate NTSC and PAL Video.·If i had known that
there is a Propeller Chip out there i could have saved a lot of time and a lot of parts.

But my question is:
Is it a good idea developing a Propeller-add-on print for the STK500 Evaluation Board??
I have allready designed this board http://www.circuitcellar.com/library/newproducts/195/achatz.htm
for the STK500. The 8 LEDs and 8 switches and the RS232 could be used for the
Propeller-Add-ON Board, i think.
Please let me know tongue.gif

have fun
Franz Achatz

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-07-01 08:39
    Are you trying to provide Ethernet to the Propeller?

Intially you discuss video controllers - which the Propeller is a good alternative device - and then you discuss 'add on'. So I cannot easily determine if you want to provide video to an already established Ethernet interface that includes the STK500 -or- whether you want to provide an alternative microprocessor choice.

IMHO, both options are possible. First impression would be that the addition of video/keyboard/mouse would be quite cost effective and appeal to those who already have the STK500 Evaluation Board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Franz AchatzFranz Achatz Posts: 140
    edited 2007-07-01 08:57
    in the first place i was just thinking in designing a Propeller Board which can be used together with the
    Atmel STK 500 Board, just like the STK501, WebTiger etc....
    Using the STK500 for evaluation and programming the Propeller.

Ok, Video + PS2 + Mouse is a MUST.

Ethernet is good idea. There is a nice EthernetChip out there, called ENC28J60.
    A friend of my did some playings with this chip.
    See: http://members.home.nl/bzijlstra/

have fun
    Franz