Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hi! Newguy with PropRPM — Parallax Forums

Hi! Newguy with PropRPM

Beanie2kBeanie2k Posts: 83
edited 2007-07-03 02:04 in Propeller 1
Hi,

I am new to the Propeller, and just received my PropRPM board yesterday. Haven't fired it up yet, but am looking forward to doing so soon, and experiencing what appears to be a fairly steep but fun learning curve. My goal is to eventually use the board as part of an electric fan controller for my truck, which will adjust the fan speed based on coolant temp, air inlet temp (I have a supercharger, so that needs to be closely monitored) transmission oil temp, boost PSI, and probably some other variables. I chose the Propeller because the sensor information comes from a wide variety of sources (digital logic, SAE J1850, RS-232 to name a few) so I thought that using a cog to handle the peculiarities of each signal type would be a good application. Anyway, looking forward to chatting with you folks and doing some interesting things with the Prop.

Comments

• RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-07-01 04:06
    Funny you should mention that...

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=656112

I will be of assistance as much as you ask me/personal message me. I'm a few months into the prop, but not as familiar with it as some of the prop gods that roam the forums. I'm currently having fun roll.gif tooling around with a Graphical User Interface for that PROpeller DFI in the thread above. It'll be able to plug into the·video jack in the back of my ancient Panasonic flip-out a/v reciever and accept keyboard/mouse input as well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"
  • Beanie2kBeanie2k Posts: 83
    edited 2007-07-01 07:32
    Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if the "Unwelcome Mat" was out? lol.gif Anyway it sounds like you've got an ambitious project going there. If you can stuff all that into the Prop, it will really be impressive! yeah.gif I fired the RPM board up and tried some of the demos. The TV graphics demo really blew me away. So it looks like a lot of learning to do for the next few weeks. My expertise is with 8051-type chips, so this will be quite a change. Thanks again for the reply and please keep in touch.
  • codemonkeycodemonkey Posts: 38
    edited 2007-07-01 16:38
    Beanie2k,
    No "Unwelcome Mat"s here. It's a very friendly and helpful forum. Just that sometimes if you don't indicate some kind of issue or question people may just let it ride. On the other hand, if you say, "I need help with..." you will probably have at least two answers almost before you click the submit button.
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-07-01 16:58
    Beanie2k,

Ditto to codemonkey. Everybody at Parallax is real busy right now... in addition to their usual duties, they are either in the middle of an annual inventory check... or trying to recover from it.

I think everyone is trying to give them a rest.

We can be a demanding set of groupies[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-07-01 17:15
    Beanie2K,

By the way... last night, I was on a 400 mile trip... not much to do but listen to the radio in the wife's van (we were moving children around)... and I noticed that when I roled down the window... the radio got static.

I mention this because there have been a couple of guys doing automotive applications... and what seems to get in between the engine and the Prop is noise.

So... in addition to everything else, don't forget about the noise.

I don't know much about cars... but everytime I go by a junk yard... all I see is sensors, wiring harnesses and electric motors... all completely documented.

Vast untapped reservoirs of robot parts!!!

Rich
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,255
    edited 2007-07-01 17:17
    The more specific your query, ideally with code posted, the greater your chance of getting some help.
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-07-01 17:31
    rjo_ said...
    ... and I noticed that when I roled down the window... the radio got static.
    I assume you mean 'while' the electric motors were rolling up/down the window you heard the static. Might sound 'dumb', but my first thought was 'after' it was rolled down the static was happening. If that is the case, I'd sure like to understand that cause!

Hmmm. Lack of filtering on the window motors; not a simple task. Probably a brushed motor; lots of 'switching' going on.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-07-01 17:55
    rjo_ said...
    I don't know much about cars... but everytime I go by a junk yard... all I see is sensors, wiring harnesses and electric motors... all completely documented.

I happen to work for a Automotive Salvage Yard. And yes, there are alot of goodies to be had. Some goodies you may find...

VFD displays from overhead consoles(the type that give you temp/compass/mpg etc.)
    Some high intensity LED's from 3rd brake lights
    wiper motors and window motors might make good robot drive motors
    sensors (rear bumper distance sensor for parking, hall effect sensors from engines or ABS systems)
    window regulators for linear motion
    the heating/AC systems in newer cars have servos to open/close doors in the heater box

the list can go on and on.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-07-02 00:40
    ah, the junkyard, it's like a friggin candy store to me.. and everything is dirt cheap or free!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"
  • grindelgrindel Posts: 68
    edited 2007-07-03 02:04
    You, sir, are my hero...I aspire to work in a junkyard someday.

I need to visit them more, I have a couple of times in the past, but I don't have the right personality to get good deals there.

are we off topic enough yet? where are we?