Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help with electronics — Parallax Forums

Need help with electronics

TrezitorulTrezitorul Posts: 68
edited 2007-06-27 05:39 in Propeller 1
I am new to circuitry and need help with wiring the circuit for robotics. A few questions I have are:
1.How do you use the 5v power line on the propeller demo board.
2. What do vdd and vss stand for.
3.How do you interface a servo into the propeller using its on board power supply
4.How do you attach sensors to the demo board
5. Is there any place where I can learn about all of this maybe a pdf or a book.

Sorry to be so green but I don't want to skull.gif my demo board by accidentally doing something wrong

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-06-27 04:19
    1) The 5V power line is used for powering sensors that may require 5V rather than 3.3V. For example, if you want to use a PING with the Demo Board, it needs to be powered from a 5V supply.

2) Vdd is the positive supply for logic (+3.3V in this case). Vss is the "substrate" supply. In this case it's the circuit ground or 0V point.

3) The Demo Board isn't really set up for powering servos using the on-board supply. If you supply the Demo Board from a 6V battery (4 alkaline cells) or a 6.25V rechargable battery (5 NiMH cells), then you can power the servos directly from the battery. You connect the control signal from the servo to a resistor (anything from 1K to 4.7K will work) and the other end of the resistor to a Propeller I/O pin.

4) It depends on the kind of sensor. If the sensor can be powered with 3.3V, you can connect it directly to a Propeller I/O pin and the Vdd/Vss supply pins. If the sensor needs 5V, use the 5V power line on the Demo Board (and Vss for the ground). Use a 1K to 4.7K resistor between a Propeller I/O pin and the sensor logic output. If the sensor has an analog voltage output, that's a longer discussion.

5) Read through the "sticky threads" in this forum, particularly the Propeller Education Kit labs thread and examples. There are other documents in the Propeller Object Exchange library (usually in the comments of the programs there) and in the downloads section off the main Propeller page (like the application note AN001). Also read the documentation that comes with any of the things you want to use (like the Demo Board itself or whatever sensors you want to use).
  • TrezitorulTrezitorul Posts: 68
    edited 2007-06-27 05:39
    Thanks a whole lot for your response Mike I really appreciate it.

I was wondering how exactly do you connect the servo because it has a plug on the end and I would like to know if there was any other way to connect it without cutting the plug off?

Also how do I connect a battery to the chip do I attach it at the transformer plug or do I connect it at a different location?