Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New to Propeller — Parallax Forums

New to Propeller

Jon MJon M Posts: 22
edited 2007-06-26 00:00 in Propeller 1
Hi,

I'm new to using the propeller and have an urgent project that needs to be completed.· Is there anyone in Yorkshire, UK that can offer some on-site training/programming over the next 2-3 weeks?

Thanks

Jon

Comments

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-06-25 20:51
    I can offer cost-free off-site experience support.
    Well, sorry for this spam smile.gif
  • Jon MJon M Posts: 22
    edited 2007-06-25 22:39
    That could be useful, I've designed a new Propellor PLC which will be incorporated into a new range of machines that will be going on sale in August. The PLC features a universal PSU providing 24V DC, an isolated 3.3V DC supply, 10 opto-isolated I/P's, 8 Relay O/P's together with an Operator Interface and expansion port. I've been using Basic stamp derivatives since they appeared in a similar role, but this time I needed the multi processors and speed so have gone to the Prop. Needless to say, programming the prop is somewhat different to the stamp!! I was hoping for some local help to get me started, or at least point me in the right direction to reduce my learning curve.

Jon
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-06-25 23:25
    Do consider possibly using FemtoBasic or BoeBotBasic as a tool for implementing this.· A PLC doesn't require blinding speed and both Basic interpreters are expandable and you can strip out what you don't need.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2007-06-25 23:38
    There's a BS2 Function library on the Propeller Object Exchange that might help you with understanding Spin.
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-06-26 00:00
    Right, and Spin is *really* not that different from BASIC or C for most purposes. (Well, C has a lot more abstraction and safety.)
    But Spin is *very* simple; if you can spend eight hours with the manual and the demo board, I think you can pretty much master
    *all* of Spin. (This written as the original author of femtoBASIC.) The best thing about the propeller is you will get quick and
    complete answers directly from this forum at any time.