Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New! SD Card Adapter available now — Parallax Forums

New! SD Card Adapter available now

parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
edited 2007-07-11 00:43 in Propeller 1
I would like to announce the availability of my new SD Card Adapter for the Propeller.

What is it?
The Propeller SD card adapter combines a SD card socket with the requisite pull up resisters. Only the SD card connections that are important for SPI interfacing are included in the connector. This provides an easy connection to many existing Propeller development setups, including the Protoboard, Propeller education kit and the Demo Board.

This is available now on my website - ucontroller.com/ There is a link to the illustrated documentation right on the main page. The selling price is $17.50 plus shipping. The first batch will come fully assembled and tested, but it is really intended to be a kit. Subsequent batches will require some soldering. The Surface mount SD socket will always be done, but the easier to solder, through-hole parts, will need to be added before use.

I have tested it with a few different SD card demos that are available on this forum:
Baggers amazing graphics demo
and the Kiosk Demo from the Embedded Systems Conference

If you have any questions about this adapter, please feel free to ask!

This was originally designed for the SpinStudio system that I had announced back in December. Several things have happened since then to delay the release of SpinStudio. A user error (mine) on my computer caused the loss of all the original circuit board files. But I re-created them, better than before. Also my Wife and I welcomed our newest son on December 27th.
SpinStudio will be available over the next few weeks, The Mainboard and the plug-in modules will be listed at uController.com as documentation and kitting is completed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe

Comments

• parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-06-25 12:23
    Attached are photos of the SD Card Adapter, and a Proto Board with the Adapter installed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
    640 x 480 - 62K
    640 x 480 - 59K
  • OakGraphicsOakGraphics Posts: 202
    edited 2007-06-25 12:42
    Hey - that looks great! Do you have a schematic of what you are doing there? Looks like you have a LED and an additional header in your board. Is that 'optional' parts of the board that is for your SpinStudio hookups later? Just curious.
  • BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2007-06-25 13:27
    I just ordered mine. Awesome!
    edited 2007-06-25 13:48
    OakGraphics said...
    Looks like you have a LED and an additional header in your board. Is that 'optional' parts of the board that is for your SpinStudio hookups later

Thank you for reminding me. This first batch of boards had a circuit for the "card detect" switch on the SD socket. I meant for the LED to turn on when a card was inserted. This was really just "Fluff" that is not necessary for operation. It will be eliminated on the next batch, as it did not work as intended. But as I said, it's not necessary, so the LED and resistor holes are left un-populated.

The 20 pin header is for future use with the SpinStudio system when it is released.

I'll post a Schematic later today in the Documentation on my website.

A little background on what SpinStudio is:
    SpinStudio consists of a Mainboard, that a DIP Propeller is mounted to, along with the EEPROM, voltage regulators, and a programming header. There are 4-20 pin sockets for plug-in modules to attach to. This splits the Propeller's I/O lines into 4 groups of 8.
    Each socket provides access to 8 I/O lines, 3.3 Volts, 5 volts, ground and I2C(SDA and SCL). I have modules for VGA, Keyboard and mouse, SD Card, Composite Video and Sound, Servos and general I/O and LCD.
    I will post more information about SpinStudio in a different thread later.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-06-25 13:48
    Darn,
    Too bad Vdd is on the end (instead of Vss), otherwise it would connect right up the my Prop Dongle...

Nice job Brian.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    “The United States is a nation of laws -· poorly written and randomly enforced.” - Frank Zappa

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
    edited 2007-06-25 14:39
    Bean said...
    Darn,
    Too bad Vdd is on the end (instead of Vss), otherwise it would connect right up the my Prop Dongle...

Thanks for the complement!

I made the header so that it would plug right in to the proto board without modification.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

• El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2007-06-25 14:49
    This is good.

I just ordered mine.
    edited 2007-06-25 15:23
    Wow! I jsut sold out my first batch. I have more on the way, it'll be about a week and a half to receive that order and get them shipped out if you order after this point. I can't get to my computer at home to edit my website until after work tonight.

If you want to be first in line for the second batch, Feel free to place an order now. I will also be posting another announcement when the second batch is in.

Thanks for the overwelmingly positive response!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-06-25 19:02
    I am using a low cost solution for some time: I just soldered some lines to a SD mini card adapter and I am slipping the mini-SD cards into the adapter smile.gif works fine for around $0
    edited 2007-06-25 22:22
    Just a heads up, the PE Kit connection scheme you're advocating in the picture is incompatible with the default layout of the kit:

pekit.jpg

The rail you have the ground wire plugged into is available, but the one you're using for 3.3V is already tied to ground.

Not saying it's impossible; there are still several ways to hook it up to the PE Kit, but that's not one of them unless you lay everything out differently.
    edited 2007-06-26 01:03
    Good call, I was making an assumption that considering the PE Kit is based on a Solderless Breadboard, that you have the freedom to
    move parts as you wish to different locations. The solution I presented was with a bare breadboard, In the default PE setup, there are
    several parts in the way, the power indicator LED, and the voltage regulators are physically in the way. Nothing a few short jumper
    wires to an adjacent board won't fix.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-06-28 21:19
    Bergamot said...
    Just a heads up, the PE Kit connection scheme you're advocating in the picture is incompatible with the default layout of the kit:

Not saying it's impossible; there are still several ways to hook it up to the PE Kit, but that's not one of them unless you lay everything out differently.
    It should work fine with this alternative I posted in: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=608508

{7/9 added alternative.gif}

Post Edited (Fred Hawkins) : 7/10/2007 2:56:44 AM GMT
    976 x 900 - 149K
  • El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2007-06-29 01:30
    I just received the SD card adapter.
    I would like to see the schematic disgram.
    edited 2007-06-29 02:32
    Fred - I didn't notice that post until now. I do like that setup. it never occured to me that one complete side of the EEPROM was grounded, so why not insert that side right into the ground rail of the breadboard, brilliant! I also like the PropPlug being inserted badge side up, just for consistency.

El Paisa said...
    I just received the SD card adapter.
    I would like to see the schematic disgram.

I want to clean up the schematic some, than I will post it, both here, and in the documentation on my website . If I don't have time to post it tonight, I'll definitely get it done tommarrow. Sorry, that should have been part of the documentation from the start.

BTW...I think I mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again. There is a spot for both a LED and a resistor that are unused. It was originally supposed to be a "card inserted" indicator. But the sockets did not operate as per their datasheet. The resistor and LED have been dropped from the design. They were really just "fluff" anyway, really served no purpose.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

• RexkarzRexkarz Posts: 5
    edited 2007-06-30 04:38
    Where might I find info on how to read data off of an sd card ?
    I want to use a propeller chip as the uP in an mp3 player. I hope it a good match, I am a bit of a noob, having programmed basic stamps and industrial PLC's. I am excited about getting back to designing! Wish Me luck, guys!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-06-30 04:52
    There is an object in the Propeller Object Exchange called "FAT16 routines with secure digital card layer". It is a basic PC compatible SD card file system package. Have a look at it.
  • RexkarzRexkarz Posts: 5
    edited 2007-06-30 08:08
    Thanks, Mike. I am so excited about working with this chip and my new project(s). Mainly because I know so little about it and it looks like it is an order of magnitude ahead of everything else on the market. I have ordered the sd reader but I also saw that chip that reads usb drives, I think that might fit my project better. Since I already ordered the SD holder board, I'm going to start with it, the upside is that I will probably learn more...... but I haven't committed myself yet. This is like day 4 of doing research so far. For those that are interested, my goal is an RF remote controlled mp3 player that I can operate from a stage. I know there are some commercially available, but what fun is that?
    edited 2007-07-01 02:50
    The schematic diagram is now part of the documentation on my website. Let me know if this type of diagram is acceptable. I sent the time to draw this because I thought it'd be more understandable than a screen grab from my CAD program.

Also, I'll be posting notice when the next batch of circuit boards are in, should be within a few days. Many of you have ordered them ahead of time. I thank you all, and they will ship as soon as they arrive.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

• Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2007-07-01 03:54
    Brian,
    The documentation and schematic is accurate and well presented, Thanks for the update.
    FYI, I pre-ordered mine !

Rob7
    edited 2007-07-05 21:53
    I just got mine, and while I haven't really had much chance to test it, it looks awesome! [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-07-10 19:29
    I need a report a problem with some of the SD adapter boards that were recently sold.

I used 90 degree male headers from a different supplier to put some of these together. Unnoticed by me, I shipped them. The problem with these other headers, is that the legs are shorter, and they don't reach far enough into a solderless breadboard to make contact.

I was using a ProtoBoard with a female header socket to test each SD Adapter before I shipped them, the legs are long enough that application, this problem only occurs when plugging into a solderless breadboard.

If you received one (or more) of these and you are using it to plug into a solderless breadboard, please contact me. I will also be sending emails to any customers that received their order out of the second batch. The second batch is identified by the absence of a spot to mount an LED (unpopulated) I attached a picture of one customers fix to the problem. He trimmed the bottom of the circuit board. The 2 "tunnels" above the penny are to pass jumper wires underneath the board. If you'd prefer not to modify your circuit board, we can discuss exchanges, or other work-arounds. Perhaps the leads could straighted with pliers or a vise, and bent so they extend straight down.

Also, if you plan to use with a ProtoBoard, or other type of printed circuit board, the current connector is sufficient.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

640 x 480 - 50K
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-07-11 00:43
    parts-man73 said...
    ...I attached a picture of one customers fix to the problem. He trimmed the bottom of the circuit board. The 2 "tunnels" above the penny are to pass jumper wires underneath the board...
    Twas done with·my wife's·dremel tool to remove a penny's width of board (1.5 mm or so).·The major cutting device was·dremel's diamond·cutoff wheel.