Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Digital Screen Grab — Parallax Forums

Digital Screen Grab

JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
edited 2007-12-02 19:57 in Propeller 1
Here is the latest version of my Hydra digital screen capture client. It now includes super saturated colors, bitmap saving, and takes about 5 seconds to transfer a sceenshot from the·Hydra to the PC. I have also·included the color lookup table incase someone wants to write their own app. This version also fixes a bug where the 1st scanline was no rendered.

At the bottom are some sample screen grabs, the X-Racer, Alien Invader, and Dr Hydra·screens had a little color touch up in Paintshop Pro.

(Original first message, old screenshot removed)

This is something I have wanted to try for a while and today just jumped right into it.·I wanted to get a copy of a video screen right from the Prop chip instead of doing a video capture. I wanted a way to create exact pixel perfect screenshots and also thought this concept would be good for people who do not have video capture hardware.

It is actually pretty simple. I run the program like normal, then when I hit select·the program·turns off the TV driver and start a fake TV driver. Instead of rendering a video signal I send the buffered pixel scanline over serial. Then after that scanline is finished, I request a new scanline and send that over serial. If you are using the default parallax drivers where the entire screen is buffered, this should be even easier since you don't have to turn off the display.

I wrote a simple app in Visual C with SDL to catch the pixels and draw them on the screen. I also have a palette look up table (which took forever to enter).

The only downside is it takes about 10+ minutes to transfer a single frame. This is something I am going to try and speed up, but I was just trying to get a proof of concept type of thing working.

Also there are some color issues that need worked out, but that will have to wait until I come back.

Well time for bed, work, then after that a weekend of camping.

Post Edited (JT Cook) : 8/3/2007 11:05:30 PM GMT
256 x 225 - 5K
256 x 190 - 7K
256 x 192 - 14K
256 x 192 - 8K

Comments

• BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-06-22 08:48
    JTCook,

Cool idea, and looks like it could be very useful for taking pixel perfect images for posting [noparse];)[/noparse]

Nice one, can't wait to see·it working.

Baggers.
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-06-22 09:19
    What an absolutely brilliant idea!
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-06-22 17:37
    Yup, that's typically how a screen grabber is made, you have an app or small driver that pulls the video buffer, saves it to disk, or in this case sends it over a communication port. You might try saving to the eeprom at a higher speed, then reading the eeprom back with the HAM tool? That might be faster for you.

Andre'
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-06-26 14:43
    Well I fixed the color issue which turned out to be a sign issue, so only half the colors were accessable (on the PC client).

I haven't worked on a way to speed it up yet, but I am guessing it is mostly due to the serial code and rendering code code on my PC client that is slowing things down.

Anyway here is a new screen with everything fixed.
    256 x 191 - 7K
    edited 2007-06-26 15:43
    excellent [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    any date for release?
    edited 2007-06-26 17:38
    Alright I fixed the load times so a screen grab is only about 5 seconds. I grabbed a few more screens, and adjusted the color a bit in Paintshop Pro to make it look less faded. I may also rework the palette lookup table as well.

I tried to do screen grabs on Alien Invaders and Dr Hydra, but I can't compile even the original code in the new version of the Propeller Tool because of a compile error.

I might release something Friday, but it will depend on time. The PC client is really pretty minimal and does not export the screen grabs. I just do a print screen,··paste it in·PSP, crop, decrease color, save as gif. Also the PC client right now is hard coded for COM 6, I need to make some kind of interface to select a com port.
    256 x 190 - 6K
    256 x 190 - 7K
    256 x 190 - 7K
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-06-27 06:46
    Dude you rock! That's the coolest idea I've seen in a while. This will be great for debugging when I start work on my Propeller 3-d engine.

Edit: I bet if you do some run length encoding on the Propeller side, it will speed things up enormously. Also, GIF is a simple algorithm; you might be able to employ GIF's LZW compression on the Propeller side before you ever send it down the wire. I read a book that explains how to make GIF files.
    edited 2007-06-27 08:21
    JT Cook said...

Alright I fixed the load times so a screen grab is only about 5 seconds. I grabbed a few more screens, and adjusted the color a bit in Paintshop Pro to make it look less faded. I may also rework the palette lookup table as well.

I tried to do screen grabs on Alien Invaders and Dr Hydra, but I can't compile even the original code in the new version of the Propeller Tool because of a compile error.

I might release something Friday, but it will depend on time. The PC client is really pretty minimal and does not export the screen grabs. I just do a print screen,··paste it in·PSP, crop, decrease color, save as gif. Also the PC client right now is hard coded for COM 6, I need to make some kind of interface to select a com port.

JT, what are you using PC side? VC? VB?
    do you know how to save a bmp file?
    I could add one if you want?

Baggers

Edit: Dennis, it also depends on how much ram's left prop side. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-06-27 09:30
    True - LZW would need room for the string table. RLE would be more memory efficient.

If JT Cook hasn't done this already, perhaps the serial driver and fake TV driver could be merged, requiring only one cog instead of two.
    edited 2007-06-27 10:07
    I'm sure it could be merged, as since most scan line renderer's request the next scanline, it shouldn't need to be timing critical between grabbing line and sending it to PC. that's if it isn't already [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I'm sure JT has it sussed already, as cogs are as sparce as ram when it comes to scanline renderers. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-06-27 14:10
    I am doing this in VC using SDL. I haven't written a driver to dump a bitmap, but the file format doesn't seem very complex. Infact SDL might even support it so I might check that first. I honestly suck at windows programming where all my stuff is DOS like where everything is written from the ground up. No windows menus or pop up boxes or anything like that. Just everything in one window. If I need a UI, I create it in that window.·lol.gif· If I don't release the source, I will at least release the specs and the color look up table I made since it would probably take someone who knows there way around windows programming about an hour to write an app to make work.

Also the fake TV driver is just written in SPIN. The only thing it really does it just read bytes from the scanline buffer, then when it is done advance the scanline counter. The scanline rendering COGs (different from the TV cog) just look at the current scanline value, and if it is the one to be used, it will copy the scanline image from COG memory to public memory. Timing is not critical since all this is getting displayed over serial which is much slower than 60hz. I haven't seen how other TV drivers work (like the one for DK) but I don't imagine it would be much different than this. The only driver I don't see this working for is Andre's one COG renderer since it renders the scanline and synthesises the video signal in one COG. But this could also be done by creating a different cog that instead of outputting video to write a scanline to public memory and wait for a counter to advance, but this would take a little more work.

Also since it takes only about 5 seconds for a frame grab, I beleive that any kind of compression on the Propeller side would slow it down. Since everything is rendered a scanline, it can only compress a scanline, and calculating the scanline + sending it would be longer than 5 seconds. Also I don't think my program has the memory to store the RLE info after it has been calculated.

·
    edited 2007-06-27 15:33
    JTCook, don't blame you for windows, [noparse]:)[/noparse] lol
    As for TV driver in spin, nice idea, since it doesn't need to take up another cog then [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I also agree with you on the compression side, or should I say non compression, being faster.
    After all 5 seconds isn't long for doing a screen grab to post on the forums or whatever you want to do with it.
  • RedNifreRedNifre Posts: 84
    edited 2007-06-28 23:14
    One frame every 10 minutes is a terrible frame rate for a racing game. :P
    Very cool though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Hydra in a LEGO NES:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=654788
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-06-29 10:42
    There have been speed improvements mentioned above - time is now 5 seconds per screen grab.
    edited 2007-06-29 23:56
    Alright, here is something to play with.

I am releasing the PC client app I made. With it you can select the screen resolution (up to 320x240), but it still doesn't allow you to save the image to disk (just do a print screen and paste it in your favorite image editing program). Read the readme file for more details on how to run it. No source yet.

Also I have included a couple of programs to try it out with. I hacked up the original parallax graphics demo to use. I forgot how a$$-backwords the bitmap driver was setup in memory, that took longer then I wanted to·to figure out.

The second program I include was Donkey Kong, which I noticed the palette was reversed. It still isn't perfect because some of the whites are not getting decoded correctly, but I didn't feel like spending the extra time trying to figure it out (I·was lucky that I figured out how the palette was setup·smile.gif ). I had to remove and comment out the sound routines for memory.

Think of this as an alpha release, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work for you.
    256 x 225 - 5K
    255 x 191 - 6K
    edited 2007-06-30 00:39
    Nice to see DK in such detail!
    JT Cook said...
    The second program I include was Donkey Kong, which I noticed the palette was reversed. It still isn't perfect because some of the whites are not getting decoded correctly, but I didn't feel like spending the extra time trying to figure it out (I was lucky that I figured out how the palette was setup smile.gif ).

My colours match the ones in the Hydra book, which I take to be official for the Hydra if not the Prop. I recall some other programs use colors offset by $80. That might well be down to the Parallax driver. It's arbitrary really.

I haven't looked at your code, but my guess on why you're missing some of the greys and whites is that you are are expecting them to be $02 to $07. i.e. with the chroma set to zero, whereas chroma might actually be anything. I try to help stabilise the chroma signal by using the same chroma as the pixels to either side where possible, even though it's actually a greyscale pixel. I'm not sure if it works, but it certainly does no harm.

You're probably missing the colour on the fireballs because they are supersaturated colors. i.e.Chroma enable set, Luma = 0, and chroma offset by 8.

Both these color issues are unusual uses of color, but "legal" and potentially may be used in other programs, so you probably ought to support them.

I don't know how significant it is, but the DK picture is missing the top scanline and has two extra that shouldn't be there on the bottom.

Post Edited (CardboardGuru) : 6/30/2007 12:48:44 AM GMT
    edited 2007-06-30 05:31
    Hmm, I have never even tried that, but it would be easy to add those colors. I'm going to be busy the next few days, but Monday I'll have a look at it. Thanks for the info.

I also noticed the missing scanline, I am wondering if a higher scanline number will trigger it, like it is waiting for scanline 250 or something before it renders the first scanline. Or maybe the first scanline is already in the buffer and I when I set the requested scanline to 0, it actually pulls scanline 1. Hmm. Anyway that will be something else·I will look into Monday. And for the bottom of the screen, I just guessed at that (I was too lazy to look it up). smile.gif

Post Edited (JT Cook) : 6/30/2007 5:49:04 AM GMT
    edited 2007-07-02 17:07
    I am still having trouble grabbing the palette from Kong, name just the white from the flame.

Right now I am assuming that valid colors fall from $X2-X7 and $XA-$XE, but I see that the flame uses $X8 which shouldn't be a valid color.

Maybe I am reading the palette wrong, but what are the colors you use for the flame?
    edited 2007-07-02 22:40
    Hi JT,

If you have the Hydra book, take a look at the TIP in the box at the bottom of page 240. $x8 are supersaturated colors.

The flame uses:
    $07 $6c and $e8.
    That's white, orange and cyan.

OK, not really cyan. When you have supersaturated colors, the chroma displays 180 degrees out of phase. So it's not cyan at al, it's supersaturated orange. ($e-$8 = $6 = orange)

When mario has the hammer, $80 is added to each of those colours, to give a white and cyan and supersaturated blue palette.
    edited 2007-07-06 23:39
    Cool, I didn't know super saturated colors exist, but now I have added them in! I also added in bitmap saving and a new release. Also included in this release is the color lookup table so if someone wants to write their own app, I have save you the most time consuming part. The file and any future releases (if there are any) will be released at on the first post.
    edited 2007-07-07 09:54
    Hurrah! DK looks perfect now!

In fact I'm going to follow suit and use that for my avatar. Thanks.

Post Edited (CardboardGuru) : 7/7/2007 11:26:03 AM GMT
  • epmoyerepmoyer Posts: 314
    edited 2007-07-09 16:13
    JT, Fine work! I love it!
    edited 2007-07-10 02:23
    Thank you, hopefully people will use it instead of using a digital camera or video capture card. If not, no biggie, it was nice little experiment that I'll probably use in the future for the next thing I work on.
    edited 2007-07-11 00:42
    I will have to give this a try, its one of those things you keep saying, "I need to write one", but never do and just cheap out and take a photo [noparse]:)[/noparse] Anyway, looks perfect. JT email me the latest zip archive of it and I will put it on the next HYDRA cd in the goodies section.

Andre'
    edited 2007-07-11 05:24
    It was one of those things that I was going to write after I finished with X-Racer(before the Hydra shipped) but didn't get around too it. Then I was playing with the serial driver for something else and desided to give this a go. I was even bored today and added the screenshots to the Hydra wiki page.

Email has been sent.
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2007-07-11 13:39
    There's a Hydra wiki? Link please!
    edited 2007-07-13 22:35
    I had some free time and Andre told me how to fix the compile problem with Alien Invader and Dr Hydra, so I modified them and grabbed some screenshots (in the first post). I didn't post the code since it isn't mine and the programs aren't publicly available (they come with the Hydra book).
  • mahjonggmahjongg Posts: 141
    edited 2007-07-14 00:53
    Yeah, the screen shots are a great addition to the Hydra and Propeller articles (I am an active Wikipedian, and wrote much of the Propeller and HYDRA related stuff).

The article about Andre' recently had Andre's picture removed (probably because of licencing problems), perhaps Andre can upload a legal version to Wikimedia commons?

A legal picture of the internal block diagram of the propeller would also be a nice addition to the propeller page, if parralax agrees it can be used.
    I can't however guarantee it won't be removed, perhaps someone thinks it's too "commercial" lol.gif .
    edited 2007-07-14 05:25
    Mahongg, I have never posted anything on wiki, I just read it. But, its funny since that picture that someone put up there was from a talk I did in nashville or texas on game dev. Anyway, the pic is public domain since I took it (well my friend did to test his camera), but it was pretty good for press. Anyway, that picture was legal...how do I upload a "legal" version of it?

Andre'

p.s. The wiki entry for the hydra looks good, thanks.