Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MC3410 and ER-1 Motors CNC — Parallax Forums

MC3410 and ER-1 Motors CNC

mcstarmcstar Posts: 144
edited 2007-06-22 19:22 in Propeller 1
Last year I purchased an ER-1 robot·which is a hobbyist robot kit from Evolution Robotics.· They poorly supported the product and then quickly stopped selling it in the hobbyist market.· However, now I've got a great motor controller (the mc3410) and some decent robot motors I'd like to use to convert a lathe/milling machine to CNC.· Does anyone have information on how to interface to the ER-1's motor controller using a propeller? It occured to me that the propeller with an SD card should be more than adequate as a motor controller.· I'm having difficulty finding any information on the motor controller's interface or how this might be setup.· Any ideas?

Comments

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-06-22 00:55
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-06-22 16:43
    If you go onto PMD's site to download specs of the 3410, you must register. Then the next day a sales rep will call you. They're pushing their Magellan chip series it seems. The sales rep (Arthur Chabot in this instance) does seem genuinely helpful.
  • mcstarmcstar Posts: 144
    edited 2007-06-22 19:22
    Thanks I'll begin where you suggest.· My hope is that this setup will give me a quick way to begin modding a milling machine and lathe combo.· With all the advances in the propeller lately (like the program loader, the SD card reader/write etc, femto Basicsmilewinkgrin.gif·· I expect to be able to create a very capable CNC machine using a propeller as the main computer.· I'm only doing reseach at this point, but the information you've point out should get me started.· Has anyone else used the propeller for interfacing this motor controller yet?

·