Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Attaching Laser Reader to a Basic Stamp... — Parallax Forums

Attaching Laser Reader to a Basic Stamp...

JoeJoe Posts: 184
edited 2007-06-22 04:35 in General Discussion
Hi,

I would like to read line codes using a Laser Reader
and compare it with the line code stored at the Basic Stamp.

Do you know where can I find a Laser Reader
Basic Stamp compatible ( serial interface) ?

Thanks, Joe
Attached you can see a Laser Reader and a line code.
325 x 327 - 8K
200 x 200 - 3K

Comments

• Sparks-R-FunSparks-R-Fun Posts: 388
    edited 2007-06-20 17:42
    If you are looking for something industrial, I have used the Keyence BL-600 Series of barcode readers and found them to be great little scanners. A Stamp should have no trouble communicating with it serially provided you first hook it up to a computer and change its communications settings to something standard. This is a one-time procedure as it remembers the new settings even when the power is off.

If you are looking for something inexpensive and hobby-ish, try to find a used Cue-Cat device. I understand these can be modified to read certain types of barcodes.

- Sparks
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-06-20 19:41
    Many such readers simply return the key codes for the values in the bar code using a keyboard wedge interface. However if you could find a serial unit you’d be better off since the BASIC Stamp wouldn’t be able to read the PS/2 interface from a wedge bar code scanner. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • bennettdanbennettdan Posts: 614
    edited 2007-06-21 22:44
    Joe,
    I have used the BL-600 from Keyence and they are nice and small I have also used the Accusort scanners and they are the best as far as industrial I know of. Symbol make some handheld units that have an interface that will output serial data also.
    Curious as to the need for a barcode scanner? Is your barcode Code 39 or 128? I have font packages that you can print your own labels in excel and word if you need it.
    Also for you to know Keyence will send you a demo scanner setup if you are intereseted it their products and they also have lots of sensors that are nice products.
    If you need a contact number I have one.
    You can always search Ebay because if we need parts we get ours from their on the obsolete models.

Post Edited (bennettdan) : 6/21/2007 10:55:02 PM GMT
  • JoeJoe Posts: 184
    edited 2007-06-22 00:55

I don't have experience attaching other devices.
    Usually I attach Parallax products to my Basic Stamp becuase
    I am sure they will work.

But my problem is that there is a lot of devices using
    serial comunication and I am afraid that they couldn't
    work with my B.Stamp.

Could you tell me a one or two ways ( or specifications)
    that I must have on my mind before attach a serial device to my B.Stamp?

Or, using other words , do you know if all serial devices with RS232 will work with B.Stamps ?

( sorry , perhaps I am asking to much, but a little
    description or a PDF recomendation to learn about that will be very usefull)

for example I found a Laser Reader that has RS232 but
    I would like to know if can I use it :
    http://www.metrologic.com/corporate/products/pos/MS3580.htm

My idea is that I don't like to ask you each time I find a serial device
    in order to know if it is B.Stamp compatible because I don't like to
    waste your time.

Thanks, Joe
  • bennettdanbennettdan Posts: 614
    edited 2007-06-22 04:35
    if you use a RS232 level shifter to convert the TLL voltage levels of the BS2 to the voltage needed for RS232 then you should be able to connect most devices as long as the baud is supported by the BS2. A laser scanner usually is a 9600 baud 7E2 for industrial machines and the handhelds are 9600 7E1 which is 9600 baud 7 data bits Even parity and 1 stop bit. The manual or data sheet for any scanner should make it easy to interface.
    I looked at ebay today and they had all kinds of handheld scanners for less than 50 dollars.
    I have a freind named Chirs that works as a salesman for Keyence and like I said they can send you a demo to try out and will only cost you the shipping back to them when you are done.