Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Viewport v1.1: Free 80Mhz Scope! EDIT: THIS THREAD DESCRIBES AN OUTDATED VERSIO - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Viewport v1.1: Free 80Mhz Scope! EDIT: THIS THREAD DESCRIBES AN OUTDATED VERSIO

2»

Comments

• RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-06-30 21:45
    What about Polski proof?! lol Is the analog working yet? It'd be great to have a O-scope better than 20MHz (hey, it was $20 on ebay, and it's brand new)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"
  • OakGraphicsOakGraphics Posts: 202
    edited 2007-07-01 14:34
    I like the fact you made it be able to watch not only i/o but also variables and such. Seems like a great test bed! Would love to see mixed signal analog / digital on this as well as I am in the market to find an analog oscilloscope as well for my hobby stuff. smile.gif
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2007-07-02 21:19
    OakGraphics, RinksCustoms, rjo_
    Thanks for the nice comments! Glad Viewport is working for you. We're working V1.2 to come shortly:
    - ability to change timescale for the turbo channel from 80Msample down to 50Ksample
    - option to only use 1 cog, not 4 for measurements, this will allow integration into already complex projects. Using 1 cog will still sample all 32 bits, with a trigger, but only 400 samples (not 1600), and fastest timescale will be 20Msample- not 80.
    - bug fixes

In the near future the Analog Dreamkit will be released- multiple options to support powerful Analog Input/Output using the propeller. We're tweaking the components to the limit to get the highest possible speeds, flexible configuration, for the lowest cost.

We're also making beer with the Propeller/Viewport- stay tuned!

What else are people interested in?
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-07-02 22:20
    Beer?

What else is there tobe interested in? [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Well,

Rich (rjo_) although he hasn't said it would really be able to send data to a file using your software and preferably be able to set the name of the file within the propeller code etc.

Cheers,

Graham
  • Beanie2kBeanie2k Posts: 83
    edited 2007-07-06 05:35
    I also have been having trouble. Here is what I have done:

1: Downloaded Setup.exe from the web page.

2: Ran the program to install. Accepted all defaults.

3: Opened the Prop IDE and loaded FastScope_11.spin. This automatically loads ViewportConduit_11.spin as a child program.

4: Compiled and loaded into RAM.

5: Noticed the new program must be running, as the blinking LED from the default EEPROM program has stopped.

6: Run Viewport on laptop. Get message that it found Propeller on COM1 (true) but that it can't find the Viewport software and would I please load it using the IDE. It then resets the Propeller board and I get my blinking LED back.

I have tried loading to EEPROM, uninstalling, re-downloading, and reinstalling the package all with no luck. Below is the DEBUG file output.

Trace Log 7/5/2007 10:21:29 PM
    .ctor:0.Starting:7/5/2007 10:21:29 PM
    startIO:0.starting io with COM1 try 0
    startIO:0.ioexception for port COM1
    getVersion:0.get version
    restartProp:0.restart COM1
    restartProp:0.restart COM1
    changeConnect:0.pio changed to False
    MainForm_FormClosing:0.Closing

I am using the PropRPM board with a Dell Latitude D510 laptop with a real COM1 port (not a USB converter) and Windows XP Home Edition and MS .NET Framework Ver. 2.0. Could you please help as this looks like a pretty cool tool?
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2007-07-06 11:28
    Beanie2k-
    Thanks for the very informative debugging information!
    I believe you're having a problem because you're not using the USB serial connection. Viewport relies on the USB connection to transmit data at 2mbps- this allows for fast streaming of data. Traditional, "real" COM ports are typically limited to much slower speeds- like 128kbps. Any way you can try using a USB connection? Unfortunately, we spent quite a bit of time optimizing Viewport for the 2mbps connection- it would be quite a bit of effort to support 128kbps as well.
    Hanno