Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SX28 and Professional Development Board questions — Parallax Forums

SX28 and Professional Development Board questions

y2kswy2ksw Posts: 3
edited 2007-06-17 00:58 in General Discussion
Hello, soon I'll have to prototype a Data Acquisititon Board (DAQ) and have a few questions which remained unanswered during the latest and extensive researches.

My customer requires to mount a DIP or SMD BASIC Stamp 2SX Interpreter Chip on a proprietary board for small series, and thus would use my prototype board for programming their SX chips.

As far as I have understood, the BASIC Stamp 2SX Interpreter Chip (DIP) can be plugged into the board, but only programmed and debugged via an SX Key. I suppose the SX chip is able to access all features on board for the final test.

Would it be possible to develop the software on a BASIC Stamp 2sx Module (for quick in-board debugging), and transfer the ready-to-use program later on the SX chip? How? What tools do I need?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-06-15 17:53
    You are confusing the Basic Stamp 2SX with the SX processor.

The BS2SX chip is already programmed and cannot be reprogrammed (without losing it's functionality).
    This chip is programmed using the Basic stamp editor and requires an external eeprom to store the basic code.

The SX chip (what is used to make the BS2SX) is flash programmable with the SX-Key or SX-Blitz using the SX-Key IDE software.

It sounds like you want to make your own BS2SX OEM board. That's cool. But you don't need the SX-Key, the BS2 series is programmed via the serial port.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    “The United States is a nation of laws -· poorly written and randomly enforced.” - Frank Zappa

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
  • y2kswy2ksw Posts: 3
    edited 2007-06-15 20:10
    So the SX chip can be programmed basically in any language (assembly or compiled high level language) and tested on the prof development board? Interesting feature ...·smile.gif

So all I need is the SX-Key, dev board, SX IDE, and a raw (unprogrammed)·SX chip.

---

Initially I was looking for a way to transfer the PBASIC programs from the dev board to the small series DAQ. Now I understand, the PBASIC program is stored on the external eeprom. If I would apply for the Basic Stamp 2SX solution, all I would need to copy the eeprom contents to other eeproms of the same type, and mount a Basic Stamp 2SX interpreter as-is together.

Well I'll see what works better for my customer, thanks so far for your help!

Giovanni
  • John CoutureJohn Couture Posts: 370
    edited 2007-06-16 18:18
    Another thing to consider is that PBASIC (language used on the Basic Stamp 2) and SX/B (language used on the raw SX chips) are slightly different. The SX processor running SX/B will run like greased lightning when compared to the BS2 series of chips. Also, you can run the SX with a 75mHz resonator which means that it will fly to the moon and back in the time it takes for the BS2 to load the program. ... Of course (grin) it also means that it will generate a fair amount of heat!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John J. Couture

San Diego Miramar College
  • y2kswy2ksw Posts: 3
    edited 2007-06-17 00:58
    How many chips would it need to heat a room in winter? tongue.gif

Yup, I've seen there are some differences, but I'm willing to run the risk to rewrite a few lines of code in exchange of speed and less external components.

Thanks to all of you, was a great help!