Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller OS Questions — Parallax Forums

Propeller OS Questions

W9MASW9MAS Posts: 17
edited 2007-06-15 01:22 in Propeller 1
Can anyone provide some documentation or some basic instructions on how to use the Propeller OS? I downloaded the .zip file and reviewed some of the comments in the object files, most of which I don't quite understand. My programming experience is too limited.

Some examples of how to put it to use would be helpful.

Thanks.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-06-14 12:21
    If you haven't already looked at the sticky thread "Good thread index (new and improved)", please do so. There's a section labeled "Propeller OS" with 3 entries. Those threads provide what additional documentation exists at present other than the comments in the source files. There's a long discussion with NEWZED about a control program for a milling machine that uses the OS and some comments from myself about the original intention behind the OS. I would also suggest looking at FemtoBasic which uses a later version of similar I/O routines and includes support for PC compatible SD cards. FemtoBasic can also be used as the basis of a simple OS although it doesn't have provisions for the "persistance" of the I/O drivers.
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2007-06-14 12:32
    I use Mike's OS system to control my milling machine SuperMill, and it is the foundatioin system I use on all of my Propeller projects.· The VGA is fantastic - the font is razor-sharp and it is just the right size.· The OS loader makes I2C communication a breeze, and the simulation object allows easy, simple serin/serout to another Prop or to a Basic Stamp.· My present project allows communication between the Master and Slave on my Prop piggyback, and also allows the Master to communicate with three remote Stamps using the XBEE and the Parallax 433mHz receiver and transmitter.· It took a while to get a good handle on it, but it was well worth the effort.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift.

That is why they call it the present.

Don't have VGA?
    Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • W9MASW9MAS Posts: 17
    edited 2007-06-15 01:22
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the help!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

“It takes less time to do something right,
    then have to explain why you did it wrong”
    ···························································································· - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow