Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PROpeller Digital Fuel Injection — Parallax Forums

PROpeller Digital Fuel Injection

RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
edited 2007-06-18 07:57 in Propeller 1
Hello all! After taking the past few months wandering around the forums, and general tinkering with the prop I've come to the conclusion that the prop would make an excellent platform for a DFI that you can tune on the fly without a laptop! A bit of a daunting task for a greenhorn like me. Was hoping Mike Green's OSp (prop OS) would be right up my alley for this project, but i was informed that it still had a few bugs to work out, so i will undoubtedly be here asking questions regarding how to get·an on screen menu system working prop-erly, lol.

I have interested the tallents of benettdan though. He has been working on a FI setup for a whille now using the SX MCU, and is near completion with his project. I'm glad for all his assistance as we bolth have the same truck.

Here's the preliminary outline/feature set:

*Propeller based PMU (Powertrain Management Unit)
*Self contained tuning prog/GUI/menu system
*On-the-fly adjustability (won't be a need to reboot)
*Video (NSTC) output for car·A/V compatibility
*Keyboard/mouse (maybe trackball)·inputs
*Will give stats of powertrain until tunning menu is called
· (will also flash warnings when any stat exceeds a preset limit)
*Ping))) wil be integrated with a cmos camera for reversing
*Three keyfob RFID tags will enable starting of the 500HP twin-turbo engine,
· each tag will enable a different performance level: (valet, half, & full power)

Sensors:
MAF, MAT, MAP (boost/vac), TPS, Knock, Temps (water, oil, EGT, trans), Crank trigger, fuel pressure, Volts,·and Wide-band O2

Actuators:
Solenoid/Servo hybrid (experimental) Wastegate/Blow-off valves, Idle Air Control servo, Trans control module for 4L60E, 6 injector outputs for sequential injection, hybrid boost referenced + servo adjusted fuel pressure regulator.

Phase 1:
· Get the prop to read/write the sensors/actuators properly and write a "basic" program to run the truck at a modest power setting with video output to closely monitor stats.

Phase 2:
· Code a GUI app that will allow kb/mouse inputs to "fine tune" the DFI on-the-fly, set alarm presets, and manage data acquisition/storage/playback (a future enhancement)

Phase 3:
· Integrate add-ons like Ping))), cmos camera, TOUCH screen, and RFID reader

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
"I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"

Post Edited (RinksCustoms) : 6/17/2007 4:42:37 AM GMT

Comments

• edited 2007-06-14 02:40
    So your trying to make an actual GUI interface without a laptop?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Realize that I am really a mad scientist··· and

Don't forget it!

http://raydillon.com/Images/Illustration/GameArt/WildIsle/WildIsle-Ink-ScientistClose.jpg

·
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-06-17 04:32
    bob - yes, I'd like to have something a bit more visual than number and text menu's, although they are easier to get functioning and consume alot less memory than a GUI.

I had a 48 element menu system coded for the BS2 spitting serial to an SX Video module. It was a text based GUI and the menu's were divided into four "buttons" on the screen and had a title bar! The setup would have controlled an array of SPI based electronic pots and A/D converters for a Light Computer/Electronic crossover. Which may be the next project with the prop. It failed because I couldn't get the damn "button" and "case" commands to work right.

Right now i'm tooling with a basic GUI like boeboy's while i'm looking for a shop manual for my truck online. I'll post code if i can get something usable for the rest of you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"
  • Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
    edited 2007-06-18 07:57
    Awful big wish list, just consrtructive critisim. In·racing and engine building, that list is how many people "Out Trick Themselves" (not a very technical term, but true). Buttons and CASE statements·in Pbasic are a lot easier than your list.

Bill

Post Edited (Capt. Quirk) : 6/18/2007 7:27:30 PM GMT