Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
basic propeller training... — Parallax Forums

basic propeller training...

FORDFORD Posts: 221
edited 2007-06-12 23:20 in Propeller 1
Hi all,

Well, the Propeller has been around for a while now, and·I have 2 apprentices that I would like to formally start training·with·the it.·Unforunately, my·knowledge of it is very limited, and I dont have time to go into it much further myself without continual interuption with other work related stuff.

What is available for educational material, without having to sort thru and print the basic help in this forum ?
I really want an organised training program / manuals etc.

I have already·purchased a Hydra, but that was a mistake, as its·way too complicated for young guys that have no programming experience, except for some very basic stamp stuff.

Any suggestions ?

Cheers,
Chris,
West Oz.
·

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-06-12 05:23
    I would start off with the Propeller Education series: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=617192

and the Spin Code Examples for the Beginner: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=574524

And if you want to teach them assembly: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=647408
    and
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=601870

The first link is closest to what you are looking for.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • FORDFORD Posts: 221
    edited 2007-06-12 07:10
    Thanks Paul,
    But I would rather just have a big manual instead of jumping around all these forums, the forums are a great read, but not prctical as a proper educational tool.
    I am happy to pay, but it just seems that the whole Prop scene is lacking in real tutorial manuals at this stage.

Is there anything being worked on similar to stamps in class etc ?

Cheers,
    Chris
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-06-12 10:13
    You could do worse than buy a couple of Hydra's for them.

www.xgamestation.com/view_product.php?id=33

Yes, it's a game system. But if you can get beyond that, it comes with an 800 page book. The first section takes you through the electronics. How each of the propeller support systems on the Hydra board works. The second takes you through propeller architecture and programming. The last is about how to program games.

So they do a game, and they learn how to program the propeller in doing so. Or they do some other program on the Hydra system. It doesn't have to be a game.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-06-12 10:24
    Chris,

The Education series is a set of pdfs, its not hard to print them out and create a book.

The spin code examples are also collected together as a pdf in the first post.

My assembly examples are self contained in the files within the first 4 posts of the thread.

My guess is you didn't follow any of the links. An hour of your time and you will have a pretty good little manual.

Graham
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-06-12 16:41
    The Propeller education series is the equivalent to the Stamps in Class, it is created by the same author and he has created pdfs which eventually will be incorporated into a book. Instead of making everyone wait until he finishes the entire series, they are made availible as he creates them. Print them out and you will have the exact material as will be contained in the book, the only material difference is they are not bound into book form.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • FORDFORD Posts: 221
    edited 2007-06-12 23:20
    Thanks Guys,
    I will compile them together and get started.
    I didnt actually follow the links, as I thought they were just links to other threads, if they are pdf's ready to print, then thats a good starting point.

Cheers,
    Chris