Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Nokia LCD KnockOff and SparkFun Break Out Board Questions — Parallax Forums

Nokia LCD KnockOff and SparkFun Break Out Board Questions

mre_robmre_rob Posts: 31
edited 2008-01-15 12:43 in Propeller 1
I have seen and read a couple of posts on this topic, but have not seen anything more about it. Has anyone had success with it? I can't seem to get it to work at all with the demo board. There is nothing in the object exchange, so I could assume that no one has got it to work well enough to post up an object.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2007-06-10 16:18
    What have you tried so far? What are you getting when you try? How do you have it hooked up? If you would like help from us then help us help you, give us some detailed information.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • mre_robmre_rob Posts: 31
    edited 2007-06-11 10:07
    Well, I downloaded every Nokia related spin code file I could find.

I then connected 3.3v, gnd ·to the Sparkfun breakout board per their instructions and got the lcd to light up solid blue.

I then looked at a NokiaTest spin file and saw that it uses a spin object called Nokia LCD. Inside the Nokia LCD object I saw this line of code in the con section:

#6, CS, SClock, SData, Reset········ 'Pin assignments

So I assumed that CS was on pin 6, sClock was on pin 7, sData was on pin 8, and reset was on pin· 9. I connected the pins to the break out board, hit f10 and nothing happened.

Based on reading the code, I was supposed to see "hello" several times on the lcd screen.

Since I have very basic knowledge about electronics, I am not sure if I am supposed to do anything other than just connect the breakout board to the prop education board directly. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob.
  • fishfish Posts: 55
    edited 2007-06-11 14:50
    Hi Rob,
    I have this breakout board and had a little trouble at first, but now it works fine for me.
    I might be able to help.
    Is the LCD seated really well and snug in the little connector?
    Did you adjust the contrast?
    Try a repeat with a·delay in it to ramp up the contrast from 0 to 100 and see if that makes any difference.
    It shoud be around 60-70.
    Can you post your·circuit·and code·so we can take a look?

thx
    fish

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Did I make a unit test for it? No... Did·I run the test·suite·before checking it in? No... But it shouldn't break anything.· ~intern·(just before we let him go).

Post Edited (fish) : 6/11/2007 2:59:57 PM GMT
  • mre_robmre_rob Posts: 31
    edited 2007-06-13 09:53
    Fish,
    Do you code that you know works that I can use for the test? I will get a circuit diagram together....
    thanks..
  • fishfish Posts: 55
    edited 2007-06-13 14:54
    Rob,
    There is a thread about this called 'Nokia LCD interface anyone'·that has Paul Baker's NokiaLCD.spin Epson driver.
    (Spark Fun's Nokia knock off LCD·has·an Epson controller) http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=642952

And another thread·called 'Nokia LCD Progress' that has a faster·Epson driver for called
    Nokia LCD - SPI (sorta) works!.zip·where user jkroylance·got the SPI engine integration to work properly.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=644512

Give that a try.
    You are at least getting a blue screen·on that LCD, so it sound like you are very close to getting it working.·

fish

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Did I make a unit test for it? No... Did·I run the test·suite·before checking it in? No... But it shouldn't break anything.· ~intern·(just before we let him go).
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2008-01-14 21:57
    Has anyone done any further development of the Nokia/Epson/Sparkfun driver (Nokia LCD - SPI (sorta) works!.zip)? Something else?

I finally took mine off the BS2P (which never worked) and tried it on a prop proto and it's working now. The above is very basic, so if there is more developed code, I would appreciate a copy.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,223
    edited 2008-01-15 01:53
    I just bought one of these the other day... I didn't know there was already code for it... I was about to start from scratch! I read info on the driver IC and noticed it had an 8-bit interface. But, the Sparkfun board only has the serial interface. I guess this is going to severly limit the refresh rate. Still, I'll have to take a look at these codes. Hopefully, someone has got the 12-bit color interface working for Prop already...
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2008-01-15 12:43
    Rayman said...
    I just bought one of these the other day... I didn't know there was already code for it... I was about to start from scratch! I read info on the driver IC and noticed it had an 8-bit interface. But, the Sparkfun board only has the serial interface. I guess this is going to severly limit the refresh rate. Still, I'll have to take a look at these codes. Hopefully, someone has got the 12-bit color interface working for Prop already...

It's an SPI interface - nice little display! Perhaps someone has done more work on it and will chime in today.